• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

9" CRT Replacements

raoulduke

Experienced Member
I've popped the backs of the CRTs on two of my last three SE/30s. That didn't matter when one of my boards was dead but now I have a working unit... up to and excluding the monitor.

I titled the thread this way because I don't know how cross-compatible the CRTs are. As I noted below, I'm pretty sure the SE and SE/30 monitors are compatible (even regardless of whether they used Clinton or Samsung).

A) I've been thinking of scouting non-working compact macs specifically for salvage (since typically when broken to the lay person it's not a CRT issue - or at least that's my impression).

B) There's also been a flurry of junked CRTs but they normally aren't 9" B&W, and it's a gamble buying a random one on the hopes the Yoke/Graphics Board/Analog Board will properly drive everything.

C) I searched the product number - this is concerning the Samsung CRT, although I believe the Clinton monitors used in the SE should also work and I have sort of interchanged stuff (though with a compatible Clinton monitor from a Compaq).

Anyone have any great ideas?

I've popped the backs of the CRTs on two of my last three SE/30s. That didn't matter when one of my boards was dead but now I have a working unit... up to and excluding the monitor.

I titled the thread this way because I don't know how cross-compatible the CRTs are. As I noted below, I'm pretty sure the SE and SE/30 monitors are compatible (even regardless of whether they used Clinton or Samsung).

A) I've been thinking of scouting non-working compact macs specifically for salvage (since typically when broken to the lay person it's not a CRT issue - or at least that's my impression).

B) There's also been a flurry of junked CRTs but they normally aren't 9" B&W, and it's a gamble buying a random one on the hopes the Yoke/Graphics Board/Analog Board will properly drive everything.

C) I searched the product number - this is concerning the Samsung CRT, although I believe the Clinton monitors used in the SE should also work and I have sort of interchanged stuff (though with a compatible Clinton monitor from a Compaq).

Anyone have any great ideas?

Now (actually any time in the past decade) is the time to be picking up compact macs with good CRTs.
Things with CRTs are disappearing fast.

Yeah 15 years ago was the time. I lucked out in terms of the cost of the last two SE/30s I got, and with having the foresight to keep my SE 20 years ago. But I threw out my Plus (and a bunch of other non-compacts), which I regret.

I should clarify the goal of this topic is not just to find [Samsung 10ATY4N] CRTs - that you can do. The cheapest I've found was $20+$20 shipping on eBay, ranging to $195 for NOS on some website. But my goal is kind of about half the cost of eBay at most. i.e. Hence option A of just waiting till I find a dirt-cheap whatever in whatever condition and then pulling the CRT. Basically $0-20. Hence my curiosity if someone has a really good idea.

These monitors are almost all standard TV frequency types, so an old TV will work in them. Best types are those used in things like security systems, white screen as well. Otherwise look at old test equipment, many quite fancy things used 6" to 9" standard CRTs, and they can be had for peanuts. You will probably find that they use the same 10 way edge connector. If the wire frame monitor isn't quite right then they can usually be tweaked for horizontal or vertical frequency to pull them in by 5-10%.

Well that's my thought on option B, though in this case I would need to find a 9" B&W monitor - as you say surveillance stuff and the like, but also old small TVs. I see this stuff all the time; I just rarely have a tape measure, and it's not generally 9" stuff.

I also provoked a similar conversation on 68kmla partially based on a misunderstanding that I was dismantling a TRS-80 (I thought it was on the outs, but it still works fine). [Better to start from page 2... https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/24853-larger-crts-on-early-compacts/page-2]

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=52&acctid=3502
*They actually use Samsung CRTs - 9ETE4.

OK
1) there's a problem with the way the brace is mounted. I'll try to work on that.

2015-08-27 17.13.12.jpg
2015-08-27 17.13.47.jpg

2) probably as a result there's a whine that I'm guessing is a flyback issue per the jury rigged screw setup.
3) there are wavy horizontal/diagonal lines and it's out of focus; the analog board popped this time though there were likely AB problems anyway.

Any thoughts?

2015-08-27 17.16.49.jpg

Last edited:
I tried swapping in a Panasonic/Matsushita tube from a security monitor and got more or less the same result as you. I'm trying a NOS Samsung 10ATY4N tube from these guys next.

Back