• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Retro Apple II Photo Contest - win an Uthernet II

DFinnigan

Experienced Member
upload_3815.png

First prize donated by A2RetroSystems

What do you love most about using an Apple II? Probably that it's an open system, will expand only to the limits of your imagination, and that it's straightforward to understand and program.

But be honest: you probably also love the retro feel of the machine: the curves, the glow of the CRT, the sounds of the Disk II, the rainbow Apple logo.

The theme of this contest is to recreate that vintage feel in a photo taken in 2015. Choose a decade: 70s, 80s, or 90s, and compose an Apple II setup that looks like it came straight from that decade. Attention to detail matters: we like CRT monitors or TV sets, cassette recorders, some Apple II books or magazines, stacks of floppies, a desk phone, maybe even some vintage posters or furniture.

We're not asking for photos actually taken back then (but you can use them as inspiration!) but instead for a photo that looks like it's from that time.

Submit a photo to the contest gallery and the best one will be selected for the prize of a new Uthernet II from A2RetroSystems.

RULES AND JUDGING

Photos will be judged based on composition, elements from the chosen time period, and overall retro feel.

Only photos taken by the entrant for this contest will be eligible to win. Also, only one photo per entrant will be eligible to win a prize.

The contest starts Monday, August 31st, and will accept entries until Monday, September 14th.

SUBMIT PHOTOS

All submissions must be made to this contest gallery.

Here is the place to upload a photo.

PRIZES

First Prize - the latest Uthernet II ethernet card from A2RetroSystems, shipped direct to you.*

Second Prize - Free shipping on up to two Uthernet II cards pre-ordered from A2RetroSystems.

* The Uthernet II will be shipped as soon as it is ready. If desired, you can have it sent to anyone whom you nominate.

I still have my all original ][e, set up the way it was when it was new. Sadly, there's just no way I can get it out from its place and get a proper picture in time.

Remember that other objects beyond just the actual Apple matter too, so keep that in mind.

Also, someone asked-- yes, clones can be used too!

Only photos taken by the entrant for this contest will be eligible to win. Also, only one photo per entrant will be eligible to win a prize.

So...why did the first submission consist of four photos? :confused:
Sounds like if you submit multiple photos you increase the odds but then you get a lot less of the "One shot. Make it count" style photos you normally see in a contest.

Eh. I'll keep working on my submission.

Those were pretty good. But I could replicate a very typical 1984 desk setup with everything you'd expect to see on it pretty easily, if I had more time. Mainly because I still have everything I had then, I may even be able to get the original desk I had then. I could even put it next to my period-correct console TV :) It would be no trouble for me to take a photo that would be indistinguishable from one taken in 1984.

I'll see what NeXT has :)

I'm neither an Apple II buff nor a photography expert, but I can imagine some people going really all-out if they wanted to.

It would be interesting to see various themes. A few that come to mind might be an office/business type setting. (it sounds like most people here would focus on home settings), something electronics-related (someone soldering together a clone Apple II+ or a cluttered 1980s repair bench), or if someone wanted to get weird, perhaps something retro-futuristic (using 80s props, one of those wildly inaccurate predictions of how someone in the early 80s would think 2015 will be like :) Where is my hoverboard? :p )

Yeah, it occurs to me I'd lose because I never had any Van Halen posters, and wouldn't want one now either. :D

So...why did the first submission consist of four photos? :confused:
I don't know. Ask the submitter.
Sounds like if you submit multiple photos you increase the odds but then you get a lot less of the "One shot. Make it count" style photos you normally see in a contest.
Only one photo per person will be considered, even if that person submits more than one photo.

You know, might be worth sending your entire rig over to Woz and ask him to pose in front of your computer and take a picture. :D

You're only a sure loser if you never submit a photo to the contest. You can submit basically anything with an Apple II or clone in it now, and you still have a week to come up with a better photo to submit later.

I have 7 pictures I could submit right now, but it appears I'd have to create an account.

I won't be entering, I already have a beta run Uthernet II, not sure if I would be eligible, even if I was eligible someone else deserves a crack at it, so I am just going to leave this teaser photo here....
IMG_0967.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'd like one, but not enough to sign up for another forum that I'll never use.

IMAG0536.jpg
IMAG0383.jpg
Nothing like what I would like to submit, but all I can muster today.

If I get ambitious maybe I'll stage a photo just to have one.

Last edited:
I think I could do a much better Commodore scenario.

I may even simulate the day I got my C64C. Black and white TV, quick start poster and all.

Twenty years ago and I can remember it like it was this morning.

All that enthusiasm and zero mass storage capability. I blew every last penny buying the all new C64C and used TV.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like one, but not enough to sign up for another forum that I'll never use.
You're actually signing up to use a photo gallery, not a forum. ;)

But your attitude is good for the people who have entered (or will be entering) a photo. If you don't submit, then the people who have submitted have a better chance of winning.

No problem.

It would be interesting to see various themes. A few that come to mind might be an office/business type setting. (it sounds like most people here would focus on home settings), something electronics-related (someone soldering together a clone Apple II+ or a cluttered 1980s repair bench), or if someone wanted to get weird, perhaps something retro-futuristic (using 80s props, one of those wildly inaccurate predictions of how someone in the early 80s would think 2015 will be like :) Where is my hoverboard? :p )

I'm tempted to try all of these now... The closest I can get to retro-futurism is by using Aperture Science props, but I suppose that's more like "present-future-retroism" :)
Time to clear out the kitchen for a photoshoot I guess!

Back