• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My permissions timeout before I submit a reply

retrogear

Veteran Member
I log in and take maybe 5-10 minutes to compose a reply. When I submit, I get a message saying something like I don't have permissions. What's the best thing to do at that point?
Sometimes I lose the entire post. As a safeguard, I've started copying to my clipboard before I click submit. I see the regular popup that says it is autosaving. If my post is lost, how
do I recover it? Is there a page refresh I can do and not lose it? I'm running Windows XP with Chrome. This was real frustrating at the beginning but I've learned to deal with it.
If this is already explained in your documentation, I apologize. I don't follow instructions very well :)

Larry G

You can easily compose the entire reply in Notepad and when you're done copy it to the reply box and submit it.

Well, that's probably the best tip to try -- these BBS systems are, at times, arcane and frustrating, and you never want to lose 10+ (or any!) minutes of writing a post, when you can easily open Notepad or Wordpad next to the browser, and compose all of your post "offline".

Also, if you take too long, you are automatically "signed-out", and to post, you have to log on again -- always disruptive...

I know it took me a few lost posts to NEVER trust the direct way of entering them - I use Wordpad and I can always save a copy to disk if I wish!

gwk

When you login select "remember me" at the same time. If you want to logout later you can do so explicitly.

When you login select "remember me" at the same time. If you want to logout later you can do so explicitly.

Thanks for the FYI!

But it just proves the point that these BBSs can be VERY arcane! WHERE is this info prominently explained? I bet it's buried in the help pages somewhere, but it's buried...

thanks again-
gwk

I have always done the 'remember me' so it shows I'm logged in but I guess what's missing is a notice when I've timed out. It doesn't show me as logged out.
The copy/paste from notepad or whatever is the safest approach to use. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to being exactly clear on my posts.

Larry G

I've always used the "remember me". To the best of my knowledge, I've never been timed out, even when I'm in the middle of composing a message and run off and find a manual to double-check my information.

So you have your answer. Just be sure to enable cookies for this site.

I use "remember me" and after some period of time the php session still times out. The final word on session timeout is set by the server administrator in the php configuration settings.

In firefox I use an add-on "Textarea Cache", and I have used a similar app in Chrome. These add-ons allow you to easily recover anything in a textarea that you might lose due to a session timeout.

Back