• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Are Tandy 1000 TL models really rare?

fallemarg

Experienced Member
So for the past 3 months or so I have been trying to get my hands on a Tandy 1000 TL. I have lost every auction and on two occasions the instant they showed up with a buy it now and I went to purchase them, they were gone before I could hit the bloody button. I got outbid again today on a machine that was non-functioning by a sniper at literally the last second by 1.00 to drive me crazy. Are Tandy 1000 TL models really rare? I see them all over the place on eBay but I can't seem to win an auction to save my life. I always get outbid at exactly the last instant. I have given up on looking at auction places because of this. I have literally lost a dozen auctions. I don't know if it's an eBay thing or if it's the same person but I am constantly getting outbid by the same two letters. So either there is someone snapping up all of the Tandy machines I am interested in or, as is more likely with my luck, a reseller is snapping them up to sell them for 4 times the price they won them at. :eek:nfire: And to make matters worse it seems that Tandy wasn't popular around here as I haven't seen one pop up on Craigslist or the local swap ads. I guess I will just do without. But seriously, are the Tandy 1000 TL series hard to find?

So for the past 3 months or so I have been trying to get my hands on a Tandy 1000 TL. I have lost every auction and on two occasions the instant they showed up with a buy it now and I went to purchase them, they were gone before I could hit the bloody button. I got outbid again today on a machine that was non-functioning by a sniper at literally the last second by 1.00 to drive me crazy. Are Tandy 1000 TL models really rare? I see them all over the place on eBay but I can't seem to win an auction to save my life. I always get outbid at exactly the last instant. I have given up on looking at auction places because of this. I have literally lost a dozen auctions. I don't know if it's an eBay thing or if it's the same person but I am constantly getting outbid by the same two letters. So either there is someone snapping up all of the Tandy machines I am interested in or, as is more likely with my luck, a reseller is snapping them up to sell them for 4 times the price they won them at. :eek:nfire: And to make matters worse it seems that Tandy wasn't popular around here as I haven't seen one pop up on Craigslist or the local swap ads. I guess I will just do without. But seriously, are the Tandy 1000 TL series hard to find?

You might try refining your bidding technique. Why not increase you maximum bid to what ever you think is appropriate? I'm a 1000SX fan, but I don't think the TL is a rare bird.

Nothing. I searched anywhere and nothing shows up. I give up. Looking at the various previous auctions I have bid much higher than what most of winning bids have been and I still haven't won.

There's a 1000 TL near me on Craigslist, but the guy wants $100 and refuses to negotiate on price.

Why didn't that show up when I did a search for Tandy 1000? I'm in Olathe, Kansas and that cannot be more than 500 miles from me.

SearchTempest does not work 100%. I regularly search for MT-32s (to find a 2nd generation unit). One in Miami never shows up on it even though the ad exists. I used to search with Google but Google now blocks repeated deep searches. I guess to save on CPU / RAM consumption not leading to ad revenue.

Maybe jmetal can buy and ship it for you. I sometimes help people out that way.

I sent a text to the seller as requested, but I haven't heard back. $100 is less than I have been bidding and losing at. Even with shipping that is fine to me. Hell, I would drive out there and pick it up, it's only a 2 hour drive. I would meet them halfway and comp them gas money too. But I cannot do anything if I don't get a response.

I sent a text to the seller as requested, but I haven't heard back. $100 is less than I have been bidding and losing at. Even with shipping that is fine to me. Hell, I would drive out there and pick it up, it's only a 2 hour drive. I would meet them halfway and comp them gas money too. But I cannot do anything if I don't get a response.

I'm still in contact with him if you'd like any help with it. He seems to be under the impression that you'll only meet him halfway. If that's true, I might be able to pick it up for you and meet you somewhere. If you're willing to drive the whole way, you should probably send him another text and let him know.

He didn't counter with anything he just never responded. He didn't tell me he wasn't willing to drive or ship it, just nothing. It's hard to let the seller know I am amenable to other options if they don't respond.

Craigslist is hit or miss. Persistence and flexibility are of the essence. I know: I have bought numerous items via Craigslist over the years.

I'm still in contact with him if you'd like any help with it. He seems to be under the impression that you'll only meet him halfway. If that's true, I might be able to pick it up for you and meet you somewhere. If you're willing to drive the whole way, you should probably send him another text and let him know.

If you would be willing to do something like that I would remunerate you for the gas to meet halfway which is just south of Emporia it seems. I would like a 1000 TL. I know they aren't the best machines but I have wanted a Tandy for some time now.

-Edit- And of course pay for the Tandy. :p

Last edited:
I just got my Tandy 1000TL from an ebay auction. Just arrived.
i like the fact that it has three drive bays. :) I just installed a 3com 3C509b-TPO in it, a LO-Tech compact flash card 2b, and a very basic vga card in it... now the fun begins, configuring it all :)

:)

I would like to send a massive THANK YOU!!!! to jmetal88! He picked up the Tandy 1000 TL that was down there by him and met me halfway between where he lives and where I live. I got a chance to meet another computer collector enthusiast which was fantastic and we got to chat about classic machines. And the Tandy 1000 TL is in beautiful shape with a CM11 monitor. Again, Thank you so much!!

I would like to send a massive THANK YOU!!!! to jmetal88! He picked up the Tandy 1000 TL that was down there by him and met me halfway between where he lives and where I live. I got a chance to meet another computer collector enthusiast which was fantastic and we got to chat about classic machines. And the Tandy 1000 TL is in beautiful shape with a CM11 monitor. Again, Thank you so much!!

Well, does it work?

It works perfectly. It doesn't have a hard drive, but I am looking into different options available in regards to that. If I can buy the parts to build my own after purchasing a PCB that would be wonderful. Always looking to improve my soldering skills.

It works perfectly. It doesn't have a hard drive, but I am looking into different options available in regards to that. If I can buy the parts to build my own after purchasing a PCB that would be wonderful. Always looking to improve my soldering skills.

I'm a big fan of this card - https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/product/lo-tech-isa-compactflash-pcb/ Inexpensive and easy to build. Only thing not ideal is CF adapter placement...it will hang off the side, blocking a few slots. Unless you mount it somewhere...or my personal preference, get an IDE to CF slot adapter...but then it still takes up two slots. A TL should have enough to spare though...

Wesley

With three drive bays in the TL, you might as well use one for the CF-IDE adapter, making it easy to change out the CF card (to load on another PC, for example). I have one mounted in the second 3.5 bay on my 1000HX system.

My 1000TX uses a slot based CF-IDE adapter and XT-IDE, taking two slots. Changing the cards with them on the back of the system isn't as convenient. Of course, it does look much more authentic from the front, compared to the HX with its CF adapter....

There is this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151797256109 I bought one to use in my CDP PC clone, it only takes a single slot.

Back