• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from MN!

3dfxman

Hi everyone,

I am a Cisco VOIP engineer that stumbled onto this site a while ago when searching for information on the illusive Packard Bell Corner PC. I collect many old systems mainly from the 486 to Pentium III era and have a small collection of rare graphic cards as well. I hope to get to know some of you and possibly learn new things about vintage PCs.

Thanks,
Sam

Hello Sam

I'm also from Minnesota. I currently work in IT providing onsite hardware/software support. I was a master electronics technician mainly doing consumer (and some commercial) electronics repair for 25 years before moving into IT support.
My interest/hobby is primarily late 70's, early 80's computers. I purchased my first computer (Apple II+) in 1983 and bought a used Z80 cp/m computer (Epson QX-10) a few years later. I've been active on this forum a few months because
I recently acquired some S-100 based computers and there is some real expertise here especially when it comes to hardware (in my opinion). You will find good support here for your PC collection as well. Welcome from me.

Larry G

Welcome from another fellow Minnesotan.

Like "retrogear" I am also in IT hardware/software site support, before that a small (now defunct) retail computer shop. I've dabbled in some legacy telecom support (I supported an old Mitel system with about 800 extensions), and setup Asterisks VoIP for a small pizza shop, never Cisco though (short of one cisco phone on my home Asterisk box). I've been into the vintage computer stuff since before it was cool, back when it's all I could afford to get. Now days I will collect almost anything vintage computer/telecom related (besides my computers, I've also got some old western electric phones, an AT&T Merlin Legend PBX, and some other goodies).

-Ryan

I'm in MN as well. I live in Northfield but work in the southern Twin Cities.

I have a bunch of Apple gear from the ][ series up through Macintosh to the current day. I used to do a lot of Sun and SGI as well, but other than a few machines, that stuff has been filtering away to new homes.

Wondering if there's enough critical mass for a "Twin Cities classic computing" group or not - or at least a MN group.

Steve

Wondering if there's enough critical mass for a "Twin Cities classic computing" group or not - or at least a MN group.

It's possible there might be enough interest, I know several other members on here from MN who have not yet chimed in yet, I've met hargle in person in Minneapolis, and talked to mbbrutman (from near Rochester) on the phone (he called me out of the blue when I posted I was having some trouble with his mTCP software, hows that for Minnesota nice ;) ).

ClassicHasClass is pretty cool too, despite not being a Minnesotan :cool:

Any of you Minnesotans have a Stearns PC in your collection? (Made in Minnesota) Just curious, that's all.

The only "Minnesotan" computer I have is a ZEOS, I do have a thing for them, they made some really nice PCs in the mid 90's. I will have to keep an eye out for Stearns PC now ;)

Twin Cities CC group is a possibility. I'm about 90 minutes away. I know new_castle_j lives in MN because I visited his house.
Does my Sperry UTS-30 count as a Minnesota PC ? I know Sperry-Unisys had a main headquarters in the Cities because my brother was employed there.
Not sure where the manufacturing took place, though.

BTW - we Minnesotans don't have talent, we store too much fat for the winter :D

Larry G

Yes - the Sperry/Univac/Lockheed Martin surplus store in Eagan was a gold mine of goodies back when it was still around. Greg (who ran the store) was a good guy.

Back