• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Televideo Personal Terminal

>I was curious if there was actually a modem inside it at all

The picture I attach doesn't magnify like my original photo. Haven't figured out why yet, sometimes it does.
When I zoom in on my photo, in the empty PCB area, I see a rectangular 8 pin symbol K1. "K" is usually a relay.
(I used to work on fax machines)
That would be the relay to go 'on hook' to a phone line. The modem circuitry is definitely missing ...
Photos taken with these new i-something devices are remarkable. Definitely better than my eyesight :)

Larry G

Last edited:
Unlike NTSC TV receivers, the vertical (and horizontal) scan frequencies aren't locked to anything in particular. I wonder if you're simply not seeing 60 Hz "hum bars".

TVs aren't locked to the AC line either... or at least they haven't been since the early 1950s, when the scan rate was fudged slightly from 60 Hz down to 59.94 Hz in order to accommodate the addition of color.

>TVs aren't locked to the AC line either... or at least they haven't been since the early 1950s, when the scan rate was fudged slightly from 60 Hz down to 59.94 Hz in order to accommodate the addition of color.

Exactly, that's why hum bars on an NTSC display slowly drift up the screen on 60Hz AC power. One bar for 60Hz and two bars for full-wave rectified 120Hz.

Larry G

Back