• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE tech support thread

but is there a way to set it so I dont have to hit the D key in order for the tandy 1000 to boot from the compact flash automatically :)

Yes, you can use XTIDECFG to change the default boot drive to be the second harddrive (81h). It's under the "Boot settings" menu option.

Nifty, i will check this out. :)

Thanks :) ( I will follow up once i have a chance to get to my machine :) )

thanks again :)

INCASE YOU ARE Getting an error when trying to flash the eeprom, USING THE XTIDECFG program on a LO-TECH ISA Compact Flash board, the eeprom i have is an SST39SF010A-70-4C-PHE Flash Memory, 1MBIT, 70ns, DIP-32 DO NOT USE THE XTIDECFG program to flash the eeprom :)

that type is not listed when flashing using the xtidecfg.com program.

You load the default file IDE_XTP.BIN, Make the changes noted above under boot settings, then save the changes back to the bin file, then use the flash program to flash the updated bin to the isa compact flash card. :) that worked like a charm thank you...

Thank you for the suggestion, very helpful, computer boots directly from compact flash now :)

Last edited:
After running for five years my XTIDE v1 card has a eeprom flashing issue.

After running for five years my XTIDE v1 card has a eeprom flashing issue.

I usually run bios version 1.1.5 on the two hard drives I swap out regularly but that version does not always detect a couple of hard drives that I have on hand so I flash the XTIDE with version 2.0.0b3 that does.

I was testing out a 89mb hard drive to to see if version 1.1.5 would see it and it did not so I flashed it with the newer version. After a reboot it would see the hard drive at 300h if I remember correctly but it would hang and go no farther and would not see the floppy drives.

After I unplugged the hard drive and rebooted it still locks up and does not see the floppy drives.

Pc is a 8086 deskpro with a v30 cpu.

I removed all the cards other than the XTIDE, 16bit floppy in the 8bit slot, and oe compaq video card, no change.

I have tried to reflash the bios but it gives an error, "time out when polling EPROM EPROM was not flashed properly" I have tried several versions of XTIDECFG and it always gives the same error.

I pulled the J1 jumper to disable the card and booted off the floppy that has DEBUG on it and plugged the J1 jumper back in then ran d d000:0 at the debug prompt and it spit out only "FF FF FF" 's.

I shut down and took a eprom out of a newer motherboard and then plugged it into the XTIDE and it booted with only an error saying no hard drives detected. I ran the same debug command and it displayed the contents of that eprom and I was able to read some info on the right hand side of debugs out put. I ran it several times with the same output showing so I don't think its a cold solder joint.

I wanted to use the 89 mb hard drive because I have used it in the past as its my smallest IDE drive.

So I plugged the old MFM drive and it died right in the middle of formating after I ran fdisk......so now the Deskpro is down for now.

I purchased the XTIDE as a kit from Hargle and soldered it up myself back in 2010.

I'm thinking the EEPROM is bad but i'm not %100 sure.

Debug's output of all "FF"'s I thought it means that the eprom is empty or does it mean that its DOA also?

Last edited:
I have tried to reflash the bios but it gives an error, "time out when polling EPROM EPROM was not flashed properly" I have tried several versions of XTIDECFG and it always gives the same error......

I'm thinking the EEPROM is bad but i'm not %100 sure....

Try erasing the eeprom in a programmer if you can and try programming the eeprom with XTIDECFG.com again, It's not a good idea to use different versions of XTIDECFG.com because there may have been an update to xtidecfg which prevent it from working properly with a newer or older version of the bios, It's best to use the version of xtidecfg that came with the bios. James has a newer version of the bios on his website.

Try erasing the eeprom in a programmer if you can and try programming the eeprom with XTIDECFG.com again, It's not a good idea to use different versions of XTIDECFG.com because there may have been an update to xtidecfg which prevent it from working properly with a newer or older version of the bios, It's best to use the version of xtidecfg that came with the bios. James has a newer version of the bios on his website.

I don't have a eprom programmer and I also only use the version of XTIDECFG that comes with each bios I have tried. And I also tried both newer versions on Lo-Techs web site.

My MFM hard drive is working now so the pc is not down and I can still "play" with it.

I did pull a eprom off an old MFM controller board and plugged it in the XTIDE and it gave an error that it could not find a hard drive, well there was none attached so that was expected LOL, then the pc booted off the floppy drive A: so I think the card is ok but the eeprom is the problem.

Is there any programs I can run in dos that can erase the EEPROM in the XTIDE card?

Last edited:
Not that i know of, Unless you can find somebody near you that can erase it for you it might be better to buy another eeprom.
I've had this same error in the past and erasing the chip in my programmer fixed it so don't bin that eeprom if you do buy another.

This question has come up a few times, Search the forum for "eprom programmer" and you should get a few hits, It really depends on your budget and the types of chips you want to program, The willems seem popular with some folk and there's the Chinese programmers like you find on ebay, I can't recommend either as i don't have them, All programmers have their trade offs and it's a subject you need to do a bit of homework on.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I can't find building instructions for XTIDE rev2 , my main problem is the resistors - everything else seems to be marked on the pcb.
If anyone has a link or something please post it , thanks! :)

There's an XTIDE R2 page on the wiki here with some assembly instructions and pictures which may help.

^ I've seen that page , sadly it does not offer a list of what goes where... there is some dead link pointing to a schematic diagram that is now not available, maybe all info was there.

You've got to be a member of the n8vem site now though i don't know if that info is still there. Unfortunately something happened and a lot of stuff was lost from the original wiki some time back. However see this page, There are 6 resistors R2 - R7 which are all the same and the other 2 resistors go in R1 and R8, Also see the note on Resistor R6 here. A while back Heather posted a pic of her xt-ide R2 build.

I had offline copies of pretty much all the old R2 information from multiple sites and sent it to keropi. I'll upload it to archive.org and post a link here in case there's anyone else who ends up needing it.

Heather

Back