• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacing Computer Chips on a 1541 Drive

I used gun oil.

Also, cleaning the head did the job. Thing works great now. Not bad for about $20 for a 1541-II!

The other day, I did an internet search to try to determine what clock oil is, and I found no useful information.

Just now, I wanted to see if I would find the same sort of results for gun oil. I'm sorry that I did that.

I do know that a lot of gun owners are very, very particular about which oil they use, but the only good reason ever seems to be "that's what I've always used" or "that's what my grandaddy used". Some products claim to be sperm oil (whales, you sicko!), some claim to be a magical concoction of mineral oil and who knows what. Others are as ambiguous as clock oil.

The other day, I did an internet search to try to determine what clock oil is, and I found no useful information.

Just now, I wanted to see if I would find the same sort of results for gun oil. I'm sorry that I did that.

I do know that a lot of gun owners are very, very particular about which oil they use, but the only good reason ever seems to be "that's what I've always used" or "that's what my grandaddy used". Some products claim to be sperm oil (whales, you sicko!), some claim to be a magical concoction of mineral oil and who knows what. Others are as ambiguous as clock oil.

Hoppes oil is pretty well respected stuff. Plus, I only used a tiny bit. I think it's probably good to go.

Though, I'd definitely stop using it if I found out it came from whales!

Actually, there's nothing wrong with whale oil...

I'm guessing, based on what gun oil is supposed to do, it's probably as close to correct for this application as clock oil is.

o man what a mess.

Anyway, the reality is for sliding metal on metal contact, there's a product called Vactra Way Oil made by Mobil, used by machinists. Only available in gallons and tubs though. Anything will do, but not too thin. *Don't* use WD40.

People make a big deal when whales are killed, and I'm certainly not for that. But when a chicken is killed, that's ok??? How do people reckon one life more valuable then another. If whales tasted like chicken, you would hear a peep out of most people. All pretentious nonsense.

o man what a mess.

Anyway, the reality is for sliding metal on metal contact, there's a product called Vactra Way Oil made by Mobil, used by machinists. Only available in gallons and tubs though. Anything will do, but not too thin. *Don't* use WD40.

People make a big deal when whales are killed, and I'm certainly not for that. But when a chicken is killed, that's ok??? How do people reckon one life more valuable then another. If whales tasted like chicken, you would hear a peep out of most people. All pretentious nonsense.

Chicken Population: 50 billion
Blue Whale Population: 14,000 (optimistic estimation)

Get it now?

It looks like you have a faulty UC7 (74LS42P). You may or may not have one bad 6522 as well. UC7 is generally not socketed. Are you any good at soldering/desoldering? If so this chip is not very expensive. I have these for $1 each plus postage. If you are not good at soldering/desoldering you might want to either buy a tested and working motherboard or just buy another drive and use this one for parts.

It looks like you have a faulty UC7 (74LS42P). You may or may not have one bad 6522 as well. UC7 is generally not socketed. Are you any good at soldering/desoldering? If so this chip is not very expensive. I have these for $1 each plus postage. If you are not good at soldering/desoldering you might want to either buy a tested and working motherboard or just buy another drive and use this one for parts.

Hmmm...I'm pretty terrible at it. But hey, it would make for good practice right?

Let me take a look at the board and think about it.

Hmmm...I'm pretty terrible at it. But hey, it would make for good practice right?

Let me take a look at the board and think about it.

If you do decide to do it, it will be better as a novice if you clip out the old chip and remove the remaining pins one at a time. Clean the remaining solder in the holes out with solder braid and install a socket.

I would also do a visual inspection of the board(both sides) especially around that chip and look for any damage to the board like broken traces or any corrosion. Those things could cause a good chip to not function correctly.

Phew, this all sounds like a lot of work. Might be in over my head. The 1541-ii is working great, so I think for now, this 1541 will be resigned to being a doorstop.

Chicken Population: 50 billion
Blue Whale Population: 14,000 (optimistic estimation)

Get it now?

If you don't like the way sperm oil is harvested, that's one thing. But it doesn't change the properties of the oil. It's really good stuff, apparently. Frankly, I don't know how many whales there are or how "near extinct" they are. I don't have any first-hand experience, and don't really trust the hearsay, no matter where it's printed. I don't lose any sleep about it one way or the other.

I wouldn't go whale hunting to get more. But, if I stumbled upon a 55 gallon drum of it somewhere I'd find a way to use it rather than pour it down the drain.

Way Oil (or "Weigh oil...") like Vactra #2, is far too heavy for that application, and the pressure capability of it is far beyond what is needed. That's my opinion anyway. I'm no expert. I think gun oil or clock oil may be our closest guess, until an expert comes along. At this point, I'd choose clock oil over gun oil, because disk drives aren't subject to ignition of any kind, and, I would assume that gun oil needs to be replaced more often than clock oil.

Phew, this all sounds like a lot of work. Might be in over my head. The 1541-ii is working great, so I think for now, this 1541 will be resigned to being a doorstop.

I encourage you to do it. If you get stuck and give up, you are no worse off than if you never started. If you don't get stuck, and repair the drive, you get to deal with device number jumpers! (or changing by software...)

If you don't like the way sperm oil is harvested, that's one thing. But it doesn't change the properties of the oil. It's really good stuff, apparently. Frankly, I don't know how many whales there are or how "near extinct" they are. I don't have any first-hand experience, and don't really trust the hearsay, no matter where it's printed. I don't lose any sleep about it one way or the other.

I wouldn't go whale hunting to get more. But, if I stumbled upon a 55 gallon drum of it somewhere I'd find a way to use it rather than pour it down the drain.

Way Oil (or "Weigh oil...") like Vactra #2, is far too heavy for that application, and the pressure capability of it is far beyond what is needed. That's my opinion anyway. I'm no expert. I think gun oil or clock oil may be our closest guess, until an expert comes along. At this point, I'd choose clock oil over gun oil, because disk drives aren't subject to ignition of any kind, and, I would assume that gun oil needs to be replaced more often than clock oil.

Ah, well you didn't mention just finding a drum of oil. That's different. But buying it only creates a market for it and encourages the harvesting of more...and for what, so I can use it on my drive so it works better? Nah, I'm good. I can just use synthetic oil or something else.

I encourage you to do it. If you get stuck and give up, you are no worse off than if you never started. If you don't get stuck, and repair the drive, you get to deal with device number jumpers! (or changing by software...)

Just sounds like more of a project than I'm willing to take on at the moment. Not to mention I don't think my skills are up to the task...I soldered once...and it was a wire to the back of a speaker.

So wait, you're saying that even if I buy the chips and repair it, I'll have to do even more to get the drive to work properly?

Back