• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to get my KIM-1 working

falter

Veteran Member
Just as a side project I decided to try to get my KIM-1 to power up. No idea if it was working before I got it. I had been intimidated by the power supply situation but ended up trying out the one in my LC II. I hooked up the pins as indicated in the manual, switched the power supply on, hit RS. No life. When I switch the power supply off, the LEDs flicker briefly and that's it.

Now, I'm wondering if my wiring might be a problem. Unthinkingly to wire up the edge connector I used my little jumper wires. I realize now they are a thinner gauge than the PSU wires.

I'll have to test continuity, voltage, etc tomorrow when I have more time. Hoping this is something simple.

Thanks! By ground.. they mean connect to the ground pin on the psu connector right? I wired exactly like that diagram with ground to one of the two ground pins.

I checked all the wiring on my KIM-1 today, used proper gauge wires this time and then tried firing up. Zero, except again when I cut the power supply, the LEDs briefly flicker as usual. I've just got the 5V and grounds hooked up to my PSU right now. I checked for voltage at the CPU (pin 8), 5VDC was present, and it was present elsewhere where it should have been. I'm wondering if this is a rare case of the 6502 having a slight case of death. That said, I'm a bit hesitant about desoldering it to try a known good one. These KIM boards are a little rarer than other stuff out there and I don't want to mess with its originality if I don't have to. I'm assuming piggybacking is not an option for testing purposes -- that's only for RAM?

I would check the reset line & clock lines to the CPU next. If they seem good, move on to the address / data bus from the CPU to see if it's actually trying to run code.

Cheers,
Dave

Dumb question -- the 'ground' line -- that runs back to one of the two grounds in the LC power supply, right? Not to an actual metal ground?

Back