• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OT: Atari PC clone

we should talk about:
- your 16mhz Mod (Cpu-Cycles/Board are controlled by Bios, so options are 12,5/6) http://retro-net.de/58.html
- the usage of the "EURO_EMS.DRV" http://forum.classic-computing.de/index.php?page=Thread&postID=82036#post82036
- my System70 (386sx16) had a Upgrade-Board on the Onboard ATI (it added 256k VRAM => 512K Vram), but is that CEG ?
- I removed it from the 386sx16 and put it in my 286/12,5 so I got 512K Vram in it, but 640x400@256Color is max :(

++EDIT++
My 286/10/EGA has Win2x,Win2x,Win3x, Gem1.x, Geos1.x and many Games installed...a fantastic machine. I love it!
I should find a way to configure Win1x/Win2x to use EMS, but that does not work yet.
My 286/10/EGA has 4 Sim-Slots, but only 2MB are possible. https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/albums/72157657434520533
What Mousedriver and Port do you use? I activated the mouse-option in the Bios and use the original schneider-bus-mouse with the old msmouse.sys (version 6.02) The mouse works everywhere including Win1x/2x/3x :)

Last edited:
The 16 MHz mod is actually quite easy. I installed a Harris 80286 cpu with 20 MHz and replaced the 25 MHz quartz crystal with a 32 MHz one. The BIOS must be set to 10/5 or 12.5/6.25 (it won't show 16/8, as it simply doesn't know about it). 16 MHz is the maximum supported speed by the Headland chipset on my CPU card. Unfortunately, the only drawback so far is that I had to disable the parity checking again, as the parity chips I installed before are not fast enough for 16 MHz.

"EURO_EMS.DRV" doesn't sound as it's meant for the Tower AT. Never tried it, however.

The ATI in my Tower has that upgrade board as well. But that's really just another 256k. CEG is a special mode of the VGA Wonder-16 chipset. How to use it? I don't know. I guess there was a driver disk that contained a Windows 3.x driver to use the CEG mode, but I don't have that disk. Currently, I don't even have Windows installed - only MS-DOS 5.0 and some games/tools. :D

I have a serial mouse attached, since I don't own the Schneider bus mouse.

ps: might be a better idea to discuss this further in a new thread?

sorry for capturing this thread, we will discuss this elsewhere.

last one: CEG-Graphics = Marketing-Gag?

* CEG-Grafphics (VGA-komp.)
256 Colormode with a palette of 792.096 Colors
VGA-Graphics, up from Machines VGA-AT 40

Last edited:
which was suggested, and did occur to me at some point.

But why? Such a person would undoubtedly have to be in league w/Beelzebub.

Yes it crazy what some will do. Like the people that strip the badges off their Neon's and put Mercedes c320 or whatever model Mercedes they think it looks like. Actually saw one on craigslist last year that was listed like that. 2002 C320 'neon' for like 4K. I called the seller several times and just laughed on his voice mail.

the reality is, and I'm a fool for not saving the photos of the item, if it were used internally by Atari, even if some goon in the company slapped an Atari logo on a vanilla clone w/gum or whatever, it's still *kind* of interesting. Sure would get a few howls from former employees if they saw it.

The Atari ATW Transputer Workstation prototype was built in an IBM PS/2 tower case, so maybe Atari employees did have a habit or reusing IBM parts.

PC4 from New member

PC4 from New member

Hi all,
I am new here "first post" I registered here because i have a lot of older PC cards for sale, but I saw this Atari thread and started reading, and maybe you would like to see my Atari pc4 :) some picts :

If interested I could post pictures of the 3 plug in cards that are inside. And sorry the big AMD sticker was on it when I got it :shock:
greets
pattt

IMG_0018.jpgIMG_0019.jpg

Back