• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

anyone selling a car LOL

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
I'm (somewhat) determined to rebuild the engine in my van. Therefore it'll be laid up for some time (I never rebuilt an engine, but am studying hard. Doesn't seem too bad). I need something made by GENERAL MOTORS. Cheap, <= say 1500$. Are there cars available locally. HA! You should see the bombs they try to sell here in NJ.
The thing is I REALLY want a Roadmaster or a Caprice (I favor the 5.8L. LT1 engine, and yes I know and could care less that it's not the exact same engine in a Corvette, a piece of crap IMHO. I'm a die hard GM fan, just can't understand the love for a plastic car). Any engine in those cars is fine though, 1992 or later. The Estate Wagon or Olds Custom Cruiser is also totally fine, actually preferred in some ways. 1996 OBD-II equipped would be icing. I realize these cars have something of a following, so I'm not looking for or expecting perfection. Just something that'll be reliable for a while.

I also like the 3800s.

Why post here? Why not? Who knows what could turn up. I could travel, not saying how far (certainly not California, please). Chances are I'll find something in the next couple of weeks somewhat locally. If you're, yikes, say as far as Chicago!!! I could be interested. Could be fun. I've gone on adventures like that many times in the past. Not lately though.

PM please. If you want to talk about any of the above though, feel free.

Years ago Terry Yager offered to give me a truck loaded up w/vintage computers. I'm sorry I didn't take him up on that offer. That would have been fun! Hurtling down I80 w/a whole mess of old crap!!! LOL. I hope he's doing well.

I'm (somewhat) determined to rebuild the engine in my van. Therefore it'll be laid up for some time (I never rebuilt an engine, but am studying hard. Doesn't seem too bad). I need something made by GENERAL MOTORS. Cheap, <= say 1500$. Are there cars available locally. HA! You should see the bombs they try to sell here in NJ.
The thing is I REALLY want a Roadmaster or a Caprice (I favor the 5.8L. LT1 engine, and yes I know and could care less that it's not the exact same engine in a Corvette, a piece of crap IMHO. I'm a die hard GM fan, just can't understand the love for a plastic car). Any engine in those cars is fine though, 1992 or later. The Estate Wagon or Olds Custom Cruiser is also totally fine, actually preferred in some ways. 1996 OBD-II equipped would be icing. I realize these cars have something of a following, so I'm not looking for or expecting perfection. Just something that'll be reliable for a while.

I also like the 3800s.

Why post here? Why not? Who knows what could turn up. I could travel, not saying how far (certainly not California, please). Chances are I'll find something in the next couple of weeks somewhat locally. If you're, yikes, say as far as Chicago!!! I could be interested. Could be fun. I've gone on adventures like that many times in the past. Not lately though.

PM please. If you want to talk about any of the above though, feel free.

Years ago Terry Yager offered to give me a truck loaded up w/vintage computers. I'm sorry I didn't take him up on that offer. That would have been fun! Hurtling down I80 w/a whole mess of old crap!!! LOL. I hope he's doing well.

Sorry, you missed this: http://www.casefuneralhome.com/obituary/Terry-L-Yager/Saginaw-MI/1399534

If you have never rebuilt an engine before, you're in for a good ride. You're going to need to determine whether or not to deglaze the the cylinders walls, and if so, will you need new pistons, lifters, push rods, etc. Also, complete gasket kit, tools (including torque wrench). You would be way ahead to buy a short block and then concentrate on the fuel injection, cooling, and electrical system. That 1500 bucks isn't going to go very far. Been there, done that. Good luck!

If you have never rebuilt an engine before, you're in for a good ride. You're going to need to determine whether or not to deglaze the the cylinders walls, and if so, will you need new pistons, lifters, push rods, etc. Also, complete gasket kit, tools (including torque wrench). You would be way ahead to buy a short block and then concentrate on the fuel injection, cooling, and electrical system. That 1500 bucks isn't going to go very far. Been there, done that. Good luck!

Indeed, doing the rebuild yourself will save a lot of money but depending on the condition of your current engine it could still work out super expensive if it needs a rebore / new pistons / crank regrind / Valves, seats, guides etc.

It would be much better to get a motor from a junkyard.

But if you insist on owning all that GM stuff, I suppose it would be good just to get used to working on them.

It would be much better to get a motor from a junkyard.

But if you insist on owning all that GM stuff, I suppose it would be good just to get used to working on them.

LOL I will joyfully stick w/GM. At this point, despite some admitted flaws w/certain engines/years, utterly convinced there isn't a significantly better make on the road (w/i a certain price bracket). Unbelievable reliability, experience garnered over 26 years of owning them.

No, about 800$ for a j/y engine around here. W/close to 200k on it. Yet given an "A" grade because it was driven less then 15k a year. There are places w/i a couple hours that I can get an engine for a little over 200$. Problem is getting there. Why a need another vehicle.

The one thing I learned in life about any task is to break it down. Divide and conquer. I own machinery (generally not big enough to work on engine components), so the measurement stuff don't scare me at all. Honing/boring is unavoidable. So are replacement cam and lifters, gaskets. If the cranky isn't out of round, you can polish it w/a shoe lace. Maybe the cylinder bores aren't even out of round. I could pull the engine, look it over, and if it's toast, just get a j/y replacement. But the thing is you never know what you're getting that way, if you rebuild, at a minimum, if you're careful, you're ensured 100k, maybe 200k. W/these newer cars and their plastic manifolds, I'll stick w/the older stuff thank you.

Stupid cheap gaskets/dexcool is what did this 3.4 in. O/w it was a great vehicle. I had to learn all this stuff after the fact. It all was avoidable I think.

A complete kit runs about 700$. Well worth it, considering the length of resultant service.

Dag nab it. Love those LT1s though. A monster. Surprisingly fuel efficient also.

Back