• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

were there any AT sized flip top cases?

A full-sized AT (as in IBM 5170) won't fit in an XT/Baby AT flip-top case. Also, certain 5170-specific adapter cards were extra-tall.

See here.

I have a couple of full AT-size motherboards, and, believe me, they won't fit in a "Baby AT" case. If that weren't the case, don't you think that IBM would have put the 5170 in an XT-style case (they did, eventually, after they shrunk the 5170 motherboard and came out with the 5162 "XT/286" board)?

As if that weren't extreme enough, older industrial PC motherboards can have 11, 13 or more slots on them, meaning an extra-extra-large case.

That case has stand off holes for larger boards. It might be just a matter of finding a suitable more compact PSU.

Last edited:
I've found that usually when people say "AT case" they really mean Baby AT.

But if we are talking full size AT though - all you need is an XT flip case, XT power supply, PCB from a Baby AT power supply, and an angle grinder. Can't tell from the outside!

So far all my flippers have been XT form factor, or modern computers.

Edit: Oh and yeah, the cards. One of my flip top cases has a big dent right down the centre of the lid, previous owner fitted an AT sized memory card and forced the lid closed.

Last edited:
I should probably take a photo of a real full-sized AT board and a "Baby AT" form factor board to show the difference. Of course, if the OP didn't really mean "full-sized AT", then the discussion is moot.

I have a couple that I think would fit a full AT:

IMG_3699_zps3c6d4322.jpg

DSCN2523_zps3td1fjou.jpg

but that doesn't look like an AT p/s, seems smaller. So therefore maybe it would fit. The AT sized p/s's that came out starting with, I don't know the 486s were not full sized AT p/s's.

But regardless I meant a "real" (in resemblance) AT case, so those don't really apply. Nice try though.

In any event I meant AT-sized, like the IBM 5170. So there's no confusion.

You're aware of course that the 5170 migrated from AT to the Baby AT form factor in the later type 2 model?

The earlier case had a metal support under the drive bays for the edge of the larger AT board where it extended around the power supply.

The image is of the type 2 Baby AT board.

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2
I've owned both, the earlier green mobos and the one as shown. I noticed a difference in the size of the 2 boards. Didn't know the actual form factor changed.

Just a few questions:

1) the earlier mobos won't fit in the type 2 case?

2) will the type 2 mobos mount in the type 1 case?

3) When you say "baby AT", do you in actuality mean XT-286? I've heard they used real AT mobos in those machines.

4) will the type 2 mobos and/or the XT-286 mobos fit in an XT 8 slot case?

That should do it for now.

The reality is though, unless every vanilla clone mobo used the type 2 form factor, an AT is still an AT. You have to separate type 1 from type 2. You can't assume when someone means AT they mean baby AT.

I found one on the side of the road under a year ago. I've yet to check it out. It may even have financial data from a major firm 80

I even have an 80386 non-IBM board that has the AT form factor--I use it in a case made for an AT motherboard. I'm sure that's not the only 80386 that uses the larger board--for example, I think that the Mylex 386 boards were the larger size.

It really wasn't until the custom LSI chipsets came out that you could fit an AT into an XT profile.

1) I don't think there was a Type 2 case? Could be wrong, but I couldn't imagine IBM changing their case design.
2) yes
3) XT-286 was the first Baby AT, and used by clone manufacturers since - practically it's the same as "XT" although I'm sure there is some technical specification that says otherwise.
4) XT-286 yes, AT no

My 5170 Type 2 motherboard goes right underneath my power supply - IBM fitted L shaped supplies to allow them to sit under - but the rear connections / fan cutouts are different, so you can't just switch power supplies.
The type 2 or 3 might be just small enough to fit in to one of the baby AT cases posted earlier however, because it had a large gap between the PSU and keyboard connector.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me, but I didn't get out the angle grinder for laughs.

I've owned both, the earlier green mobos and the one as shown. I noticed a difference in the size of the 2 boards. Didn't know the actual form factor changed.
Just a few questions:
1) the earlier mobos won't fit in the type 2 case?
2) will the type 2 mobos mount in the type 1 case?
3) When you say "baby AT", do you in actuality mean XT-286? I've heard they used real AT mobos in those machines.
4) will the type 2 mobos and/or the XT-286 mobos fit in an XT 8 slot case?
The reality is though, unless every vanilla clone mobo used the type 2 form factor, an AT is still an AT. You have to separate type 1 from type 2. You can't assume when someone means AT they mean baby AT.

1, 2) I did try a Full AT board in the type 2 about 12 years ago because I could only keep one of my 3 ATs and preferred to keep one case that could accommodate both sizes. After reviewing them I determined that the type 2 case would not safely hold the Full AT board as the edge under the drive bays would be cantilevered without support, and could short.
The type 1 case has a metal "<" shape to steady the edge of the Full AT board under the drive bays.

I don't recall if the type 2 board would fit in the type 1 case. I suspect that there was an issue where that white clip is since the type 1 case is missing that feature and I ended up determining that I could not reliably use one case for both boards.

3) "Baby AT" is of course the ad-hoc industry name for boards based on the XT form factor in size. A best as I'm aware IBM adopted that form factor for the type 2 AT as well but it's likely that the clones have more holes for mounting screws and/or plastic standoffs from the keyboard connector-forward to ensure they fit IBM AT and XT cases in addition to clone cases. There may be areas under the board free from solder joints for the same reason.

4) Don't know that last item.

4) IBM used the same case for the IBM XT 286 5162 model as they used for the IBM XT 5160 model.

4) IBM used the same case for the IBM XT 286 5162 model as they used for the IBM XT 5160 model.

I think that's been stated several times.

Bottom line: An AT-sized board will not fit in a "Baby AT" or XT-sized case, short of modifying the case. An XT-sized ("Baby XT") board will fit in an AT-sized case (I've done it and I still have the system). A real AT case has the advantage that it has a more advantageous disk drive setup--but does require those "rails" to accommodate drives.

Back