• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hey! Let's have a vintage computer item sell-off!

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
Let's pick a day, like December 1st, and everyone on the board has to sell 1 true vintage computer item. No if, no ands, AND NO BUTS! You have no be willing to ship it *anywhere*. No whining. We'll have none of it.

Sounds like a great way to spread the love, earn some cash, and get rid of some junk. I'm on! How about the rest of yous?

I don't think that is terribly feasible. The great news is that with web sites and email people can buy or sell when they want to ...

For my part, the multi-year basement cleanout sale continues:

http://www.brutman.com/BasementCleanout/BasementCleanout.html

Besides the assortment there I will be posting some PCjrs and related items soon. (I am finally getting settled in after a few years of having things in boxes.)

The VC Forum Marketplace is still available ( http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com/ ) but I have found the user interface to be somewhat lacking. I have sold 40 to 50 items there through the years.

oh we'll see about that! You may live to regret those words!!

Ok this is an edit, I got to ask. Besides the Peanuts and the AT, did Mikey actually ever own any other vintage computers? Any? Whenever he speaks it's all about those damned Peanuts!!! LOL LOL LOL. How could anyone love the things that much! I do like them, I really do. But Peanuts and ATs forever??!!!

oh we'll see about that! You may live to regret those words!!

Ok this is an edit, I got to ask. Besides the Peanuts and the AT, did Mikey actually ever own any other vintage computers? Any? Whenever he speaks it's all about those damned Peanuts!!! LOL LOL LOL. How could anyone love the things that much! I do like them, I really do. But Peanuts and ATs forever??!!!

I hate eBay as a venue so anything that gets people away from that is worth a try ...

My first machine was a Timex Sinclair 1000. I still have it but as with all of them, the keyboard ribbon is bad. One day I plan on connecting a proper keyboard, adding memory, some sort of mass storage device other than the cassette tape, etc. As silly as that machine is it still has a Z80 on board.

The PCjr was machine #2. In retrospect it was a terrible excuse for a PC but working around the limitations of it taught me a lot. There are many PCjrs with all sorts of modifications in the collection now. The modifications are interesting because they represent the effort that other people expended to work around the limitations of the machine.

I have a few 5150s, 5160s, and 5170s. I especially love the 5170 case design. There is a Compaq Portable from Chromedome45 here too.

Later machines include a PS/2 Model 25, an IBM 5140 Convertible, A PS/2 L40SX laptop, and several clones ranging from a 386-40 that I built in 1993 to Pentium II class machines.

The other odd duck in the collection is a TRS-80 Model IV which is in beautiful condition but I need to rebuild the keyboard. All of the rubber dome keyswitches have lost their capacitance; they can be fixed but there are four solder points on each switch holding it down that must be removed to disassemble the each switch. I'd like to network enable it some day. 128KB is tight, but it should be able to run TCP/IP applications.

If you ever get a chance to wander down my direction, bring the machine with you. I've got a vacuum powered de-soldering station that'll make short work of those keyswitches.

g.

Why not set up some trades at the up oming MARCH VCF Festivus in December? You live right near there. We trade stuff and sell within the club all year round.

The Jr is what it is. It's a piece of computing history, our history. Regardless of what it was, or wasn't, it had it's faults clearly. But that's a big part of what makes it interesting. I acquired a dead Peanut years before I started "collecting" (omgosh I was always a collector. Just went off the deep end around 2002-3). I never really did anything with it. I'm always drawn to the Jr whenever I see one though. It could have something to do with my associating it w/my very first unit in 1985 (1986 technically, I had to WAIT for delivery), the Tandy 1000. I guess whatever first drew you in big into the hobby is what occupies that special cuddly place inside your thumper. Awww doesn't that soudn so sickening!

Anyway, the Jr occupies the outskirts of that fringe area I refer to as pseudo compatibles. It's mostly a compatible of course, but due to the quirks, you or 3rd parties needed to find workarounds. The trade press would say that the model 25 was what the Jr should have been, but that would make computing history somewhat less interesting, being that all the hacking was done for you. With a soldering iron and ample imagination, a Jr. could be made into whatever someone wanted it to be. A very interesting unit in my humble worthless opinion, and made by who? Big Blue??!!! Not one of the "secondary" Japanese manufacturers back in the day.

But people love oddballs, but real oddballs love the REAL oddballs. I can't help but wonder what Mike would do if he ever acquired a Tandy 2000 or something like it? Just had me wondering. Yes you can do a lot with a machine if you focus on and stick with it. But it behooves someone with ample technical knowledge and ability to take on yet another challenge. Like I said just a thought.

Ebay is evil, no argument. I have to confess that I made a lot of money on ebay a few years back. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time. My suggesting a sell-off among _this_ community was just a wish to get more stuff circulated, not about money, somewhat about, perhaps, making space. Mainly about getting stuff out of the basement that other people are looking for.

Let's pick a day, like December 1st, and everyone on the board has to sell 1 true vintage computer item. No if, no ands, AND NO BUTS! You have no be willing to ship it *anywhere*. No whining. We'll have none of it.

Sure, but the corollary is that the purchaser doesn't get to whine about shipping costs. :)

sounds fishy. the reason we have ebay and such is so that you have a moderator between buyer and seller. If you have something to sell, just sell it now!

Has anybody tried Wallapop? It's great for local buying and selling of anything. The only thing I don't like about it is that it only works on phones and the like. You can browse from a puter but that's about it!

sounds fishy. the reason we have ebay and such is so that you have a moderator between buyer and seller. If you have something to sell, just sell it now!

This is truly exasperating. How is it fishy to conduct business the way it's been done forever?? The reason for ebay is that ebay makes loads of cash in commission. When I frist started buying on ebay in the late 90s, I was getting shafted left and right. Every slimelord came out from under their rocks and sold all the stuff they couldn't sell locally, and didn't tell you or show you in pictures what was wrong with it. Ebay didn't do anything to curtail the dishonesty then, yes they've enacted policies to combat it due to the outcry. And what about an unscrupulous buyer who whines and complains and lies, and ebay automatically takes their side?? Ebay is all about ebay.
Prior to and since ebay I've conducted very successful long distance exchanges w/o ebay. No not every one was perfect. Needless to say you need a little street smarts to feel a person out. I've never been shafted outright. The worst exchanges I've ever had -hands down- again was in ebay's early years. The ludicrous lying and omissions! Oi vay.
If you've sold any number of items on ebay, you'll know how difficult it can be for the seller at times. The stuff I've unloaded over the years were choice items. The buyer's were overwhelmingly pleased. Another seller with average wares may not have had the gratifying successes I've had. There were a couple of morons, and ebay immediately took their side. Because that's what ebay does, worry about their own bottom line. Just like those monsters at Amazon, still selling books about dogfighting. The executives of that company should be brought up on charges.

I have almost 900 transactions on Ebay, 100% feedback. I agree it's not for everyone though. I don't mean to be combative. I hope you can find people who will participate in your event. Perhaps just pick a special day for everyone to list items in the the Items Wanted and Items Available sections, more so than normal.

whether you're trying to be combative or not is irrelevant. Your response at the top of the page is just bizarre. I wasn't suggesting anything out of the ordinary. Just trying to encourage people to sell something on a particular day say. Then some spiel about ebay, and needing a moderator. But this site has a forum for selling and a marketplace. Is that all fishy too? This is why I ****ing hate New Jersey. People are just so weird. It's like everyone has undergone frontal lobotomies. Let me out.

Back