• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTD: Parts from dead Shugart SA800 or SA801 220V floppy drive

Nama

Veteran Member
Hi,
I need to convert two 110V 60Hz Shugart SA801 drives to work with 220V 50Hz power here in New Zealand.

I'm presently running my drives from a step down transformer, but the different frequency is an issue, and the drives spin at 300rpm, as opposed to 360rpm.
using my step-down transformer + a bigger pulley and new drive belt would probably solve this issue.
Another solution could be to find a SA800/801 220V 50Hz motor.

...anyway, just thought I'd ask.

Phil

possible solution

possible solution

Hi,
I need to convert two 110V 60Hz Shugart SA801 drives to work with 220V 50Hz power here in New Zealand.

I'm presently running my drives from a step down transformer, but the different frequency is an issue, and the drives spin at 300rpm, as opposed to 360rpm.
using my step-down transformer + a bigger pulley and new drive belt would probably solve this issue.
Another solution could be to find a SA800/801 220V 50Hz motor.

...anyway, just thought I'd ask.

Phil

I have a complete (working I think) SA800. I'll check the specs. If its going to a real working home its yours gratis

Pete

I might have some 220V motors, the pulleys and the belts. I'll have to look. I used to end up with piles of them when I bought 8" drives by the pallet.

For SA-800/801s, right? Not for SA-850/851 (different power connector).

If I have them, you'd be looking at about $25 (used) for each combination consisting of 220vac motor with 50hz pulley, and belt, plus the shipping. Which might turn out to be more than the cost of the parts. If I have new parts, they would be $50 a set/combination.

Hi,
That sounds great! Much thanks for the response.
Yes, the drives (2) are Shugart half height 801's.
Used parts would do me just fine, as it'll hopefully save some money.
In fact, at the very least, would just the pulleys and the belts work on a 120V motor which is used on a step down transformer? Not ideal I know, but just a thought.
Thanks again for your reply.
Cheers
Phil

Hummm...I thought the 800 was the full height drive and the 801 was the half height one. Maybe I'm confused and these are actually the 810's.
My drive is the same as the LOBO drive seen here:
http://www.vintagecomputer.net/lobo/lobo_twin_8inch_drive_front.jpg

Google search time...

UPDATE: Hard to get a definitive answer from google (Wish I could find a PDF of the LOBO dual 8" drive manual!)
Seems my description could be wrong. I still think these are the 801's, but the LOBO enclosure is a slim-line case which lead to my confusion over the half height/full height identification?
Hope that's right!

Last edited:
Shugart SA-800 is a soft sector drive full height, single-sided 8" drive. Shugart SA-801 is the hard/soft sector capable version of the soft sector only SA-800 drive.

Shugart SA-850 is a soft sector drive full height, double-sided 8" drive. Shugart SA-851 is the hard/soft sector capable version of the soft sector only SA-850 drive.

Shugart SA-800/801 & SA-850/851 are available with a rack mount compatible chassis, Usually marked with a "R" suffix on the manufacturer's label. SA-801R, SA-800R. SA-850R, & SA-851R), AND also available in a non-rack mountable chassis. Most Shugart 8" floppy drives you come across will be rack mount chassis. Beware of drives for sale without photos, they might be non-rack mount versions. You can have a non-rack mount drive converted to a rack mount with the replacement of the drive chassis.

Shugart SA-810 is the half height single sided hard/soft sector drive.

Shugart SA-860 is a half-height double-sided, hard/soft sector drive.

The drives in the photo are full height drives, making them 800/801s if single headed, and 850-851s if they are double-sided drives.

You cannot tell if a drive is single-sided or double-sided from the front panel, without looking inside the slot.

You can't tell if a single-sided drive is a SA-800 or SA-801 without looking on the logic board for the components installed, or the 800/801 select jumper.

You can't tell is a double-sided drive is a SA-850 or SA-851 without looking on the logic board for the components or the 850/851 select jumper.

Last edited:
Thanks fore the clarification. That helps a lot.
I'm 99.9% sure my drives are single sided, making them either the 800 or 801's.

Thanks.

Back