• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Blurry screen on Soroc IQ 120 monitor

ilyaz

Experienced Member
Good Day Everyone,

I picked up a 1984 Soroc IQ 120 monitor the other day.

Plugged it in and saw something appear on the screen except that I couldn't read it since it was very blurry (see photo)

Do you know if this can be fixed?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5870.jpg
    IMG_5870.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1
You look to have a dreadfully massive cataract that has formed and the decaying pva glue is clouding the screen. It is fixable but you need to remove the crt to clean it up.

Thus I don't think this is relevant to any computer monitors.

Actually bonded-on glass over the front of the CRT seems to have remained "not uncommon" at least through the 1970's. The HP Computer museum calls it "screen mold" and it apparently affects quite a few late 70's-early-80's HP computer models. Because there's no standard name for it it's a difficult problem to search for but using "screen rot" turns up mention of it affecting systems at least as late as the DEC Rainbow. On some later systems the bonded-on glass might well be there as an anti-glare filter or leaded glass thrown on there to compile with European radiation emission standards, not necessarily safety glass.

Here's a photo of the whole screen. Hopefully the camera flash did not distort it too much, You can see concentric circles which appear to be on the inside of the glass, since I don't feel any sort of layer of anything when I touch the glass with my finger.

Does this make... I guess the picture any clearer ? :)

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_5901.jpg
    IMG_5901.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
My vote's for bad PVA also. You'll have to remove the CRT--and quite possibly the tension band before tackling the removal of the shield.

If you have a heat gun or hair dryer that can be set fairly low, you might try using it on a small section to see if the PVA will reflow. Note: you shouldn't have the heat set hot enough to melt the plastic faceplate.

Wow. Yeah, that's a totally developed cataract. Typically it starts as spots around the edges of the tube face and over time creep inwards.

If you have a heat gun or hair dryer that can be set fairly low, you might try using it on a small section to see if the PVA will reflow. Note: you shouldn't have the heat set hot enough to melt the plastic faceplate.

Just link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1EoMmmOcQ

Back