• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Atari ST models, enhancements and clones

yes there are resources, I could dig for the better part of an hour or so (and I have a basic understanding of the lineup to begin with. There's holes needless to say). I post because, albeit I guess I'm wrong sometimes, the answering as well as the asking seems like it should be fun. If for nothing else to get a different perspective. Whatever. No one bit, I guess it wasn't worth the fun.

yes there are resources, I could dig for the better part of an hour or so (and I have a basic understanding of the lineup to begin with. There's holes needless to say). I post because, albeit I guess I'm wrong sometimes, the answering as well as the asking seems like it should be fun. If for nothing else to get a different perspective. Whatever. No one bit, I guess it wasn't worth the fun.

Wouldn't you prefer accurate information? Web pages can be worked on for long times that no one would even dream of using for a forum post. If there were holes or mistakes, then questions to clear those issues up should follow which would lead to fixing the errors and omissions on the web page.

Well, the list of clones is pretty easy since there aren't that many:

* Medusa Computers T40 - 68040 clone
* Medusa Computers Hades - 68060 (usually...) clone
* Firebee - Coldfire clone (partly designed by Medusa, again)
* Milan Computer Milan - 68040 or 68060 clone

There may be other "true" clones, like possibly the Eagle if it were ever built. You might be able to include the C-LAB Falcon MK-X in this list, although it really is just an Atari Falcon motherboard with some minor modifications. There are obviously purely FPGA systems these days, but I wouldn't call those clones.

Generally speaking, Atari models are:

* ST
* Mega
* STE
* MegaSTE
* TT
* Falcon
* STacy
* STbook

The hardware improvements to them are probably too numerous to list. For example, I have an Atari TT030 with a MagnumTT RAM card (64MB), Wizztronics Dekka 2 keyboard adapter, and a Galaxy VME graphics card, and my configuration would probably be considered pretty unique. You'd be better off actually looking at the Atari Museum link provided.

You forgot ST-Pad/STylus and ATW 800 which contains a kind of Mega ST mainboard with SCSI (same as in TT) and transputer links onboard. That Mega ST in the ATW 800 served as IO subystem (keyboard, mouse, harddisk, floppy) for the transputer system. ST-Pad/STylus was one of the very first tablet computers. Missing also some never released prototypes (Sparrow as Falcon prototype) and E-ST (with 68020 CPU as initial attempt to get faster before TT was released). And also don't forget Falcon 040 and Falcon Microbox prototypes which never have been released, unfortunatelly. By the way, there is a recent homebrew small series computer based on 68008 called Kiwi which is running EMU-TOS, and ATARI Jaguar also will be basically ST compatible soon a s a friend of mine is working on running EMU-TOS on this. I think EMU-TOS also was ported to Amiga.

You forgot ST-Pad/STylus and ATW 800

I didn't forget them. I was simply limiting the list to mainstream systems. I didn't think the STPad was actually released. In fact, I'm not sure the STBook was "released" either since it is only available in tiny numbers. I wouldn't quite refer to the ATW800 as a machine in the ST line even though it does contain a Mega as a front-end. I guess it is, but...

And including unreleased prototypes seems pointless here. If you want to start getting into those, the Atari History site is a better starting point.

I'm not really interested in the Atari community anymore. I like my machine, but I don't participate in the community. So if there are other recent developments concerning FPGAs or porting to the Jaguar, I really wouldn't be following them.

I didn't forget them. I was simply limiting the list to mainstream systems. I didn't think the STPad was actually released. In fact, I'm not sure the STBook was "released" either since it is only available in tiny numbers.

Common estimates are that around 1000 to 1200 STBooks were sold (all in Europe). The STPad (a.k.a. STylus) did not make it into production, allegedly because they couldn't get it to recognize Sam Tramiel's handwriting (which sounds silly, but the Tramiels were known for making rash decisions like that).

Back