• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5 1/4" Disk Labels

Bungo Pony

Staff member
I've collected a ton of 5 1/4" floppies, peeled the labels off, and I'm re-using them for all my old beasts. The problem I've come into is the labels. Nothing is sticking worth a damn!

I tried the dollar store labels which were useless, so I broke down, spent quite a bit more money, and bought me some "permanent" Report Cover labels from Avery. They stick better, but they're still peeling, including inside the disk drives.

I used to be able to use whatever stickers on floppies and they would generally stick without a problem. These days, it seems like all these stickers are crap. What are you all using for labels?

I have hundreds of 5.25" labels with WP strips, still on their backing sheet and they all suffer from the "no stickum blues". 3M Super 77 aerosol is what I use to replace fallen-off labels. Works a treat.

8c4f6b05-a7bc-4353-97a3-caa98c458d4c_400.jpg

It's also great for attaching mailing labels to boxes.

The 33-up printer adhesive labels also work well:

k2-_44569214-6a1f-4041-bc1f-431c34766142.v1.jpg

These are Avery 5260, but OfficeMax, etc. usually has their own (cheaper) house brand.

Last edited:
Its been a while since I printed any out, but my Labelblank Corp 5530-P 1 5/16" x 2 11/16" for 5 1/4" disks seemed to work ok long term (60lb white offset permanent adhesive 2,100 labels per package 100 sheets).

Averies 5.25" floppy labels are model # 5197 and are 1 1/2" x 4". Avery states they use special adhesive for the floppy disk labels (and I have used them for 5.25" and 3.5" in the past and they do an OK job.

I have ~ 5,000 4" x 15/16" white labels that are about 25 or so years old and are still sticky as hell. They are tractor feed and I still use dot matrix printers. Works a treat and they don't peel.

The reason for that is that adhesive VOC-based labels were phased out in favor of the non-sticky ones. My older (70s-mid 80s) labels are fine. After that, not so much.

Just as a extra measure you should carefully clean the disk where you peeled the label off with some rubbing alcohol. Getting all the leftover gunk off. I have recently bought some older Avery 5¼ labels and they work great. Helps if you print them out on a laser as I think it "heats up" the glue a bit.

I got some generic shipping labels from work and they're a bit better. I look at those Avery labels and they're not cheap. I'm a little taken back that I'd need to spend so much on disk labels. Hell, I could use a piece of masking tape and it would work better. I think I'm going to keep looking for good low-priced alternatives.

Helps if you print them out on a laser as I think it "heats up" the glue a bit

I figured putting the label on after the disk has been sitting in a nice warm floppy drive for 10 minutes would have the same effect.

I hear you on the price of them. The Avery 5197 labels s-l500.jpgare around $45.00 if you can find them in the stores. I got really lucky at my local Goodwill store a few weeks ago. Got a package of 5¼ and 3½ labels for $5.00. Each was open and only missing a few sheets. Don't think I will be that lucky again. Even asked the clerk if they had anymore in the back.

I don't need all 5,000 of the pin-fed labels I mentioned above. If you have a dot matrix printer and want some of them lemme know.

OTOH, I have a partial box of Z-LABEL Laser Printer Labels. They are 4" X 1½", 12 labels per sheet. There's 52 sheets/624 labels left in it.

They're like this but a different size (Diskette size) as I mentioned above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-Label-Las...426504?hash=item1c5d00eec8:g:Du8AAOSwwTlUpaPY

They're also available if you want them.

Never got around to trying it, but I speculated that if neatly cut that "bumper sticker paper" might work.

Similar problem with write protect tabs. The only thing I've seen in that size are crappy little white paper labels that similarly won't stay attached.

I've got an excess of write-protect tabs if you need some.

I do need some. Can you message me?
And I have the non-stick label problem too, but I have the 3M77 contact glue too! That will stick anything to anything.

Marc

So what do you guys use (software) to print labels out with? Avery has an old label printing software but if you use a different brand label then what?

I just use Microsoft Word. There are over 30 or so different label manufactures and profiles to use. You can even create your own. 003.jpg. On my old Commodore 128 I use some word processor or DataManager2.

Back