• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

M7196 documentation/circuit diagram (TSV05)

iainmaoileoin

Experienced Member
My TS05 tape drive wont go online ;-(

I have some manuals for the TS[V]05 drive itself but I cant find anything detailed for the M7196 controller.
The manual says that the online light wont light when the drive does not "see" the controller.

There are some wee bits in the TSV05 user-guide and install - switches etc,
but not enuf to let me puzzle the problem.
I cant find anything on bitsavers, here *et al*.

Am I just searching for the wrong thing or can anyone assist in finding a circuit diagram board specific
documentation?

No, I have NOT yet run diags - "last refuge of the inept" :D
I guess that is my next stage; I fear it will just tell me that the drive is not online.

OK, it was a mechanical problem. The online would not go online because it thought the drive door was open.

It wasn't.
But ... the wee dohicky on the door lock solenoid had moved/bent and was telling the mother board that the lid
was not down.

So my TS05 (1/2" tape drive) lives again. Thankfully it was a mechanical and not - as I had feared - electronic.

I would still like to get hands on any TSC05 circuit diagrams/manuals.

The old TS always impresses me. The tape sits horizontally and auto feeds itself onto the capstan
using no more than some filtered air and a some clever engineering.

Hi All;

"" The old TS always impresses me. The tape sits horizontally and auto feeds itself onto the capstan
using no more than some filtered air and a some clever engineering. ""

I don't know for sure, but It might be based on the Cipher Tape Drives..
I have a Cipher 900..

THANK YOU Marty

cipher board inside the ts05?

cipher board inside the ts05?

I don't know for sure, but It might be based on the Cipher Tape Drives..
I have a Cipher 900..

THANK YOU Marty
Aye, the mother board is made by cipher, 160103 seems to be the cipher number.
about 15"x 18" with a row of "like 2N3055" power transistors down 1 side?
I will get a photo next time I have the lid up.
It would help me get a manual if I knew more about it.

Hi All;

My mistake it is a Cipher M990, not a 900..
Anyway. Look at Bitsavers under Cipher and see if there is anything close to what You have..
http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/cipher/
Look at the M990 Technical Manual and Maintenance file and see if anything looks familiar..

THANK YOU Marty

Isn't the TS05 a rebrand of the Cipher F880? I have a Cipher F880 and it looks identical to the TS05.

Hi All;

THANK YOU MattisLind, Having never seen a TS05, You are probably right, since You have a Cipher 880..
Then, Look at the Documentation for Cipher 880 and use that for the TS05, until proven otherwise..
Something should be better than nothing..

THANK YOU Marty

Appreciated -> looks like you have me on the right track

Hi All;

THANK YOU MattisLind, Having never seen a TS05, You are probably right, since You have a Cipher 880..
Then, Look at the Documentation for Cipher 880 and use that for the TS05, until proven otherwise..

THANK YOU Marty

Ah the plain F880 as in the file 799816-003O_F880vol1_Nov85.pdf (site above) is pretty close.
Even the "service aid" buttons - to do things like test the blower and switch of safety interlocks - are on the same keystrokes.
I guess this means the proms are similar. Thanks.....
This is getting me closer thanks.

The F880ES is similar but different.
The outward physical and tape track looks good. But
The front panel "bit density" button is not on the TS05
The latching arrangment and interlock is much different
The internal board is unfortunately very different - e.g. diag leds I dont have, placement of components.

The M990 looks closer - but it is physically bigger. It also has 3 control boards, I only have 1 board.
The mechanics of connectors. placement, cover-lock switches seem similar, but there are more front
panel switches.

Hi All;

THANK YOU Marty

Ah the plain F880 as in the file 799816-003O_F880vol1_Nov85.pdf (site above) is pretty close.
Even the "service aid" buttons - to do things like test the blower and switch of safety interlocks - are on the same keystrokes.
I guess this means the proms are similar. Thanks.....
This is getting me closer thanks.

The F880ES is similar but different.
The outward physical and tape track looks good. But
The front panel "bit density" button is not on the TS05
The latching arrangment and interlock is much different
The internal board is unfortunately very different - e.g. diag leds I dont have, placement of components.

The M990 looks closer - but it is physically bigger. It also has 3 control boards, I only have 1 board.
The mechanics of connectors. placement, cover-lock switches seem similar, but there are more front
panel switches.

Back