• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Otrona Attache startup disks?

Brillig

Hello,

I am a volunteer at the Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum in Floyd, Virginia (http://bugbookmuseum.blogspot.com/), and I am trying to get a Otrona Attache working for an exhibit. So far I can only load terminal mode since we have no CP/M disks. Unfortunately, we don't have the equipment to load disk images (which I know are available online for the Attache) and it has been very difficult (impossible) to find any Otrona disks on Ebay or elsewhere online.

My question is: does anyone here have the equipment to copy a startup disk for the Attache who would be willing to make it available to the museum (we would cover all costs of course)? Or at least point us in the direction of someone who might be able to provide disks?

I can help! I have a working Otrona Attache with boot disks for MSDOS and CP/M. I made the boot disks from Don Maslin's collection. Send me your address and I will forward floppies.

I can help! I have a working Otrona Attache with boot disks for MSDOS and CP/M. I made the boot disks from Don Maslin's collection. Send me your address and I will forward floppies.

Oh thank you, I really appreciate it. As soon as I figure out how to send a private message, I'll send you my address.

(You wouldn't happen to know how to send a message, would you? I feel really dumb; I can't find the option anywhere.)

Best,
Grayson

Oh thank you, I really appreciate it. As soon as I figure out how to send a private message, I'll send you my address.

(You wouldn't happen to know how to send a message, would you? I feel really dumb; I can't find the option anywhere.)

Best,
Grayson

There is a section in the help area that indicates that private messages can be sent and received but when I tried to send I was blocked. I notice we are now best friends (!) so maybe that will allow it.

Address

Address

Best,
Grayson

If you want I can just mail the floppies to the museum at the address on their website.

If you want I can just mail the floppies to the museum at the address on their website.

That would be fine, thank you. I added you as a friend in case that was the secret to PMing but it appears that it is not. It must just be disabled on this forum.

Address:
Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
P O Box 179
Floyd, Virginia 24091

You can send a Paypal request for the s&h to: supermannlich@gmail.com (old email address, don't judge me haha). I really appreciate the help.

Best,
Grayson

That would be fine, thank you. I added you as a friend in case that was the secret to PMing but it appears that it is not. It must just be disabled on this forum.

Address:
Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
P O Box 179
Floyd, Virginia 24091

You can send a Paypal request for the s&h to: supermannlich@gmail.com (old email address, don't judge me haha). I really appreciate the help.

Best,
Grayson

Hi, Grayson! I live in Canada, but have a PO address in N. Dakota. I will be there on Tuesday and will mail the floppies. I am sending the CP/M and MSDOS boot disks and the CP/M utils and Demo disks. Have you checked the button batteries in your machine?! Mine were starting to corrode.

Have you checked the button batteries in your machine?! Mine were starting to corrode.

Hello all,

I use to service Otrona Attache's both the cpm versions and the even rarer msdos version.

Sadly threw out a some motherboards and NOS cases a few years back.

Kept 1 or 2 machines, but they have not been powered up for years.

One simple problem, they had internal button batteries for a cmos chip. Lot of operational issues were caused as the battery aged and leaked, etc etc, as I sure you know what I mean.

Remove the 2 rear brown feet ( screws hold them on), and carefully slide the insides out of case or case off the outside of the innards.

There are somewhat fragile beryllium copper flexible fingers that are mounted on the inside of machine. They are what makes contact with the outer case as part of the electrical shielding. So as you slide of the outer cover, gently rock the case as you slide it.

Locate batteries, remove with care, NOTE the polarity orientation and clean the battery holder. Plenty of advice on web about doing this type of cleaning.

Replace batteries and good luck.

Worst case is you may need to replace the button battery holder with some new one. That will require desoldering the corroded one and soldering in a replacement.

Also Grayson, you may need to clarify if your machine has 48 tpi floppy drives or 96tpi floppy drives. Machines with 96tpi capable drives can read and boot both densities but 48tpi drives will not read nor boot from 96tpi formatted and system disks

Hello,

I just stumbled across this site and it warms my heart to see there is still interest in Otrona computers. So I registered so I could reply.
I am the firmware/software engineer who wrote the majority of the O/S and utility code for the the Attache. Employee #8 and the first software hire.
Pretty much all of the Z80 stuff and 2001 stuff including the BIOS were mine with some exceptions. The 8:16 code for the 8086 was contracted out to Phoenix Software. We were their first "PC Compatible" customer.
In any case I am pretty sure I have a box of floppies somewhere with pretty much all of the stuff we released including the source code. I have no idea what state it is in and I no longer have an Attache but I figure someone could probably put it to good use. I'd like to make sure it goes to someone responsible who will take good care of it and make sure it stays available to anyone who needs it in the community. I'll have to find that box if anyone is interested. Let me know where the best place for this would be.

Steve

Hello,

I just stumbled across this site and it warms my heart to see there is still interest in Otrona computers. So I registered so I could reply.
I am the firmware/software engineer who wrote the majority of the O/S and utility code for the the Attache. Employee #8 and the first software hire.
Pretty much all of the Z80 stuff and 2001 stuff including the BIOS were mine with some exceptions. The 8:16 code for the 8086 was contracted out to Phoenix Software. We were their first "PC Compatible" customer.
In any case I am pretty sure I have a box of floppies somewhere with pretty much all of the stuff we released including the source code. I have no idea what state it is in and I no longer have an Attache but I figure someone could probably put it to good use. I'd like to make sure it goes to someone responsible who will take good care of it and make sure it stays available to anyone who needs it in the community. I'll have to find that box if anyone is interested. Let me know where the best place for this would be.

Steve

I'd be happy to take it at the Computer History Museum, if it turns up.

Al Kossow, Software Curator CHM

Hello,

Steve

Welcome, Steve!

It's always great to hear from you guys behind the scenes. I have an Attaché 8:16 in my collection that I have mostly working, except for a misbehaving B: drive. I created CP/M and MSDOS boot disks from images in the Don Maslin archives.

I think the ideal repository for your material would be Al Kossow's Bitsavers. Dave Dunfield also makes software images available on his site. Al Kossow frequents these forums. I also have the capability for imaging diskettes, and will pass the images on to Al and Dave.

http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/

I spoke too soon. We moved two years ago and I thought I knew exactly where the disks were put here in the new place. I just tore basement apart and can't find them. As of now they are lost. My apologies. I will keep looking and if I find them I'll be back.

Hi, Grayson! I live in Canada, but have a PO address in N. Dakota. I will be there on Tuesday and will mail the floppies. I am sending the CP/M and MSDOS boot disks and the CP/M utils and Demo disks. Have you checked the button batteries in your machine?! Mine were starting to corrode.

Just wanted to let you know we received the disks and say thank you so much for your help! Unfortunately it seems like there may be more wrong with our Attache than just lack of OS. It reads both boot disks on startup and doesn't go into terminal mode with either, but it doesn't do much else. I cannot even get it to consistently type characters.

Just wanted to let you know we received the disks and say thank you so much for your help! Unfortunately it seems like there may be more wrong with our Attache than just lack of OS. It reads both boot disks on startup and doesn't go into terminal mode with either, but it doesn't do much else. I cannot even get it to consistently type characters.

That is a shame! Have you tried reseating the ics that are in sockets? I had to do that to mine to get it to run reliably.

fsaleh,
The OATTACH.TD0 (OATTACH.IMD, OATTACH.RAW) has a directory listing of:

larry@debian:~/Downloads/cpmtools/cpmtools-2.20$ cpmls -f otr1 -d OATTACHE.RAW
DISK COM : FORMAT COM : MUSIC COM : D COM
BACKUP COM : TIME COM : XTYPE COM : XDIR COM
MDM707 COM : NULU COM : DDT COM : SYSGEN COM
PORTS ATT : CHARTON COM : BRUN COM : CHARTONF
XF COM : AUTO COM : BARSAMPL CHT : VALET VL2
SORTV COM : SYSDUP COM : PRINTER VL2 : MODEM COM
STAT COM : PIESAMPL CHT : MBASIC COM : PORTS COM
LINSAMPL CHT : SQ COM : DAY COM : USQ COM
EPSFIX COM : EDFILE COM