• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cheap score of the day.

dabone

Veteran Member
I was driving home today and saw a yard sale 2 blocks from my house and grabbed this pc for 10.00.

I went home and connected it to my 55" TV.. (hehe...) and it still worked fine.

Intel 486/66 DX2, 8MB Ram, WD 520Meg Hdd, 1.44 and 1.2 Meg floppies, and a floppy controller Qic Tape backup.
PCI based MB, with cache, 4 72 pin dimm slots. 94 date code on the bios.

I ended up grabbing an extra ide to cf adapter out of my stash, copying the HDD over to a 2gb cf card, and then I bought a copy of retro city rampage (MS DOS Version).

http://www.retrocityrampage.com/

Much fun to be had for cheap.
Now if I can remember where I stashed those isa sound cards I had...

486-66.jpg

Later,
dabone

Classic!

It's amazing how those things keep on ticking! :)

I was driving home today and saw a yard sale 2 blocks from my house and grabbed this pc for 10.00.

I went home and connected it to my 55" TV.. (hehe...) and it still worked fine.

Intel 486/66 DX2, 8MB Ram, WD 520Meg Hdd, 1.44 and 1.2 Meg floppies, and a floppy controller Qic Tape backup.
PCI based MB, with cache, 4 72 pin dimm slots. 94 date code on the bios.

I ended up grabbing an extra ide to cf adapter out of my stash, copying the HDD over to a 2gb cf card, and then I bought a copy of retro city rampage (MS DOS Version).

http://www.retrocityrampage.com/

Much fun to be had for cheap.
Now if I can remember where I stashed those isa sound cards I had...

View attachment 28312

Later,
dabone

Is the dallas clock/battery socketed or soldered on to the motherboard? If it is soldered on then you might as well kiss the motherboard goodby when it dies - which should have been years ago unless it was stored in a refrigerator or something.

Other than that, nice find! Excellent nice looking generic AT case and a (Teac?) 1.2mb drive. Absolutely a keeper.

Is the dallas clock/battery socketed or soldered on to the motherboard? If it is soldered on then you might as well kiss the motherboard goodby when it dies

Why is that, won't it just quit holding cmos info?

If so, turn on, select drive types and reboot. Not a huge deal. (it has auto detect for the hdd.)

Later,
dabone

If so, turn on, select drive types and reboot. Not a huge deal. (it has auto detect for the hdd.)

Later,
dabone
Results may vary, I've had flat Dallas units cause continual reboot loops by not being able to maintain the settings on warm reboots.
But even if that happens, it's not a dead end street. You can cut in to them, disconnect the original battery, and solder on a replacement.

Ref: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2009-10-10-renovating-a-dallas-battery-chip.htm

It's nice if they're socketed because then you can remove the module and you'll be less likely to slip and damage the motherboard.

Last edited:
Nice score and great looking machine. Back in the day when Doom came out I played it for hours on my 486DX2/66. I still have the cpu from that machine. It's all that remains of it. Doom ran ok on it from what I remember.

Some BIOSes will refuse to completely boot if the battery is dead. If you change anything in the setup it will just reboot and forget it all.

I *used* to have a nice little 5x86 motherboard like that with one of those chips soldered on. But a year or so ago when I went to test it, the battery was finally dead. In retrospect perhaps I should have tried the cutting method, but the chip was sandwiched between the ISA slots, so I thought it would be easier to de-solder it. Wrong! Those 1990s era boards are designed to suck the heat away from hot surface mounted components. After much futzing it looked like I got it unsoldered from the bottom and the chip seemed to come off until I noticed a bunch of broken trace wires still stuck to it.

Now, if it is in a socket, you can still buy new Dallas/Odin replacements but they cost a bit.

Nice score and great looking machine. Back in the day when Doom came out I played it for hours on my 486DX2/66. I still have the cpu from that machine. It's all that remains of it. Doom ran ok on it from what I remember.

Yeah, I remember when I upgraded my 386/25 MB to a 486 DX2/66 just to play DOOM! In comparison DOOM screamed on the 486 !!!!

Back