• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Keyboard swap for a 1100FD

Hans01

Experienced Member
I recently bought a Tandy 1100FD.
It looks like a new one, but has 3 problems.
The drive belt from the floppy drive is gone, I have ordered a new one.
The battery is dead, I fixed a new one with 5 NI-MH cells.
The computer has a AZERTY keyboard, a little problem as you got accustomed to a QWERTY keyboard.
Is there somebody who want to swap my perfect and in new condition keyboard with his
QWERTY keyboard.
If you have a spare QWERTY keyboard and want it to sell, would be nice too.

If you are intrested, please send me a PM.

Still some problems with the repair of my 1100FD.

The battery with 5 Mi-Mh cells, doesn't have enough capacity for more than 30 min. use.
Does someone knows a shop for a suitable accu.

I ordered a drive belt for the floppy, but it is about 3 cm. to long. Who knows were to buy a good one.

I want to add a harddisk but I need a connector to connect the cable to the motherboard.
It's an edge connector for slim flatcable.
Here about the same question, who can help me.

Thanks in advance.

@Unknown_K

Hi. the drive is an EME-213AMC from Mitsubishi
The size is 71x0.6x2.8 mm. and ordered at Modern Radio in UK.
The belt is about 3 cm. too long.

I have chosen the factory settings by mistake instead of saving the bios (F1 and not F10)
Now I've lost my keyboard settings.

Can someone tell me how
the French keyboard can activate again.

I don't suppose the 1100 had the same expansion slot as the 1400 series?

Hi James.

I have a lot 2,5 harddisk from earlier projects.
I would give it a try to interface one of them with my 1100FD, as I cannot get any info about the connector and there is no discripton nor
schematic about the interface, i have dropped the idea.

I had to open the case and remove the components so many times that there was some worn on the screws and connectors too.

@MikeModified.

It's working now but not with the origin floppy drive.

Finding the right belt was a big problem. I have ordered 3 different belts, according the info in some VCF posts.
Flat belts are a big problem, at last I ordere a set of 5 different round belts for tape recorders.
There were 2 in the set who fit.
But before I could use the belt I had to clean the motor and spindle wheel which were covered with melted rubber from the old belt.
After trying to remove it with hooks and pickers it dit not work, the dirt was still in the motor and spindle wheel.
I have dismantled the drive and clean everything with a desolvent.
No luck, i dropped the drive.
I want to use an old diskdrive with a 34 pins connector.
The easiest way was to desolder the 24 pin connector from the original drive, this was easy to do.
I strechted the pins and use a flatcable to connect the floppydrive with the connector, an terrible job but doable.
Take a very good look for the orientation of pin 1 from the connectors.
Take care to set the drive select to drive 0.
The list with the connections on VCF need some justification I think.
1100FD 34 pin floppy
20 ---- 16
Connect pin 1,2,4,5 form the 24 pin connector to the +5 (red) connector from a small power connector and
and 7,8,10 to both middle pins of the power connector (black)

After at least 5 attempts is working flawlessly

The battery made from 5 NiCad cells is not sufficient, you can use it for no more than 10 minutes then you need to load again.
If someone knows a shop where to buy a battery of the good the size and capacity would be nice.

Back