• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FrehHD Model I Quinnterface Power Connector Polarity

Fooser

Experienced Member
Merry Christmas fellow TRS-80 enthusiasts!

Regarding the Quinnterface, which is the positive side of the connector, the tip or the ring?

When connected to the FreHD, how many milliamps does the power supply require?

Lastly, can anyone point me to a source for the power supply connector on the FreHD itself?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to all.

attachment.php

Shouldn't the power cable supplied with the Quinnterface have two pin connectors on each end? My FreHD has a two pin power connector. I tried pinning the four pin connector into it, but the wires on the cable skip a pin and don't line up. I'm sure I must be missing something obvious.

I found the two pin connector at the link you supplied, but during the order process, it would only let me select Australia.

Hope Santa brought you something exciting. (-:

Attachments

• 20151225_101349.jpg
    20151225_101349.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
Merry xmas early-adopter! I say early adopter because only about the first 30 FreHDs had the 2 pin power connector, after which we changed to a more conventional 4-pin connector, compatible with 3.5in floppy drives, in case people wished to power their FreHD via an AT or ATX PC PSU, or a power extension/adapter lead from a 5.25in molex power connector.

Anyway, I can see how this can be made to work... on the 4 pin connector remove the 5V wire (plain grey) from slot 1 and put it in slot 3 (where the Gnd wire (grey with black stripe) currently is). Put the ground wire (grey with black stripe) in slot 4.

Test it with a multi meter before connecting it to your FreHD.

Note: to remove the pin from the plastic enclosure press down slightly on the metal tab of each pin as you pull it from the enclosure.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks Ian, I'll do that.

Yeah I couldn't wait to get one once the FreHD was released and haven't looked back.

Ok I upgraded the FreHD firmware to 2.13, connected it all up, and get a garbage screen. Do I need a different boot image instead of the one I've been using that requires the boot disk? That sounds reasonable. Do I use the autoboot image used for the autoboot mod perhaps?

Attachments

• 20151227_135335.jpg
    20151227_135335.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2
Actually since you have an early FreHD, have you changed U3 to a 74LS245? Again early ones went out with a 74HC245 which works great with a Model III/4, but not with the Model I... not sure why. Check that chip and get back to me.

With all these changes please confirm the FreHD continues to work with your Model 4 before proceeding to the Model 1 system.

Yes you will need a different set of starting images on the M1 SD card, send me a PM with your email address and I'll zip it up and send it over.

Cheers,

Ian.

Back