• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SIMM / DIMM / DDR Memory

GiGaBiTe

Veteran Member
I was given a lot of old memory from a business that was moving. I really have no use for most of it and wanted to see if anyone else has a use for it.

Here's a Google Docs catalog of what I have:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ALXGgHeb2p3t8eV3SBHi0QHbhJ7JdWQbFKD2j6NnrnI

Legend:
Blue - Available
Orange - Sale Pending
Red - Sold

Pricing per stick:

SIMMs
4-8 MB - $5
16 MB - $7
32 MB - $10

168 Pin & 184 Pin DIMMs (any speed)
64-128 MB - $5
256 MB - $7
512 MB - $12

Please note that none of this memory has been tested as it would take a ridiculous amount of time to do so. If you would like specific memory modules tested before you buy, send me a PM specifying which. I currently have no machines that run SIMMs so I can only test the 168 Pin DIMMs and the DDR sticks. The sticks you specify interest in will be tested for at least 8 hours on Memtest before they ship. If a stick fails, you'll be notified.

Shipping
Due to having consistently terrible experiences with international shipping, I will only ship within the lower 48 states. Shipping is $3 per order and will go to packing materials.

I've acquired a motherboard that can run 72 pin SIMMs so I thought it would be an opportune time to go back and test the lot of memory and weed out the bad. The memory list has been completely remade for the new year and only includes modules that have tested 100% working. Prices per stick are now included on the list for less ambiguity.

SDR and DDR modules have been tested for at least 8 hours each with memtest. SIMM modules were measured between 5-20 passes since older versions of memtest don't have a working wall timer. Memory testing is ongoing and more modules will be added over time. I still have about half of my SIMM stock to go through and a few more SDR and DDR sticks.

Shipping is still $3 per order.

Yes, I have 8 RIMMs and 4 CRIMMs.

I don't have them listed because they're tiny 128 MB modules and I don't have any hardware to test them on.

If you want any of these modules, I'm willing to part with them. I haven't seen a Rambus system in over a decade and I don't think I'll ever have a use for them.

I have a pair of RIMMs. Gimme an idea what you have in mind and I'll see what they are. IIRC I also have a pair of CRIMMs.

I was looking for a pair of 512MB PC400s, but looking at eBay, I see that the place is awash in them for cheap.

So never mind, I think. (I've got 128MB and 256MB ones already).

There's a computer salvage place nearby the sells DIMMs by the pound, but no RIMMs.

I guess the 820 chipset never caught on.

I have an Intel® Desktop Board VC820 which is on my list of things to get rid of soon. It only has two memory slots, both filled with 256MB. No ISA slots so nothing interesting about keeping it.

RDRAM was insanely expensive on every front which is why everyone hated it. Consumers paid out the nose for it, I remember a 128 MB RDRAM stick being the same price as a 512 MB PC-133 stick which was quite ridiculous. Manufacturers had to pay exorbitant licensing fees for it too. And even though it had more bandwidth than SDR DRAM at the time, it had a far higher latency which gave it a performance penalty in everything.

The pushback from consumers and the illegal DRAM price fixing pushed Rambus out of the market. It was a good thing too because Rambus was a parasite in the memory industry, they were even low enough to go to DRAM standards meetings and patent technology that the memory industry as a whole created so they could make more money.

I have an Intel® Desktop Board VC820 which is on my list of things to get rid of soon. It only has two memory slots, both filled with 256MB. No ISA slots so nothing interesting about keeping it.

I'd offer to take it off your hands but I don't have any spare money as of late. I'd be nice to test the modules I have.

RDRAM was insanely expensive on every front which is why everyone hated it. Consumers paid out the nose for it, I remember a 128 MB RDRAM stick being the same price as a 512 MB PC-133 stick which was quite ridiculous. Manufacturers had to pay exorbitant licensing fees for it too. And even though it had more bandwidth than SDR DRAM at the time, it had a far higher latency which gave it a performance penalty in everything.
Actually, I think toward the end RDRAM was more expensive more only because memory manufacturers were selling SDRAM at a loss (it was still more expensive to make, but not that much more expensive by then). I think for a while afterwards (just before it died) RDRAM was cheaper than DDR.

Last edited:
Actually, I think toward the end RDRAM was more expensive only because memory manufacturers were selling SDRAM at a loss (it was still more expensive to make, but not that much more expensive by then). I think for a while afterwards (just before it died) RDRAM was cheaper than DDR.

Rambus claimed that in their lawsuit against Hynix and Micron. The jury disagreed with Rambus.

For most of Rambus's existence, RDRAM cost about 3 times what DDR cost for the same amount of memory and Rambus had huge profit margins, far larger than any other memory company ever had. Rambus had an effective monopoly and determined to extract the full benefit of such.

Rambus claimed that in their lawsuit against Hynix and Micron. The jury disagreed with Rambus.

I think it is well known that SDRAM was selling at far below cost back in late 2001.

Last edited:
Back