• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Apple Lisa 2/5 interest check on possible sale.

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
First off the Lisa is not quite for sale yet. Just want to see
what kind of offers I get for it. I know what it's worth and so
do most of you. So no low ball offers please.

And would highly prefer Local Pickup. If a deal is reached. But
might consider shipping but will be professionally packed. More $$$

Ok the Lisa is fully functional. Has 1 MB Ram and buffer RAM for floppy
controller were replaced. Has some yellowing due to age. Keyboard included
But no Mouse. Any Macintosh 9 pin type will work.

So Floppy works and ejects disks as it should.

Power supply is in good shape. Replaced caps where needed

Profile drive works as expected but the original power supply was not working
had a bad transformer in it. So it currently has 2 power supply bricks in it
to provide the -12, +12 & +5 volts. The AC good signal is derived from the
+5 volt line by way of a resistor. Sounds kind of kludgy but the drive does
work as mentioned already.

Currently the Profile drive has Lisa OS 3.1 on it operating system only. No apps
oh and it is a massive 5MB in size.

Pics will be uploaded later

Some Pics for your enjoyment!

Attachments

• 100_1750.jpg
    100_1750.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1751.jpg
    100_1751.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1752.jpg
    100_1752.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1753.jpg
    100_1753.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1
I'm sure that you already know that there is a current eBay auction 191770015553 for a Lisa 2/10 that does not power up.

Currently there have been 19 bids (12 by one bidder) and the current high bid is $1025.

smp

Last edited:
No I didn't. so maybe mine is worth more? Also the seller claimed original mouse. Original macintosh mouse maybe. Being that it runs and so forth. But unfortunately I only have one mouse and I use it with my Mac Plus. Hey thanks for the input smp!

Just checked it sold at $1025.00

Your machine would have more value if you gave it a retrobrite treatment to get rid of the yellowing. Cleaning up the sticker goo would help too.

As for the lack of a mouse, you might consider putting a fat warning label over the mouse port so a genius doesn't plug in a PC serial mouse and blow the thing up.

Just remembered the PC serial mouse is also female type connector. So plugging in a PC mouse would require a gender bender to allow it to be hooked up.

Your machine would have more value if you gave it a retrobrite treatment to get rid of the yellowing.
Maybe to some, but to me that would reduce the value. You don't know what other chemical changes are going to result in the long term after exposure to that process.

In my opinion, leave it yellow.

Maybe to some, but to me that would reduce the value. You don't know what other chemical changes are going to result in the long term after exposure to that process.

In my opinion, leave it yellow.

Chemical engineers have described perfectly well what happens when retr0brite reacts with yellowed/browned plastics, it replaces the fire retardant bromine atoms with oxygen atoms.

Not treating yellow/browning plastics is the worst thing you can do because as it gets worse over time, the plastic becomes more and more brittle until just a slight bit of pressure will cause it to crumble.

Chemical engineers have described perfectly well what happens when retr0brite reacts with yellowed/browned plastics, it replaces the fire retardant bromine atoms with oxygen atoms.

Not treating yellow/browning plastics is the worst thing you can do because as it gets worse over time, the plastic becomes more and more brittle until just a slight bit of pressure will cause it to crumble.

Please cite a peer reviewed reference. I've read similar claims that RetroBrite will accelerate the deterioration of plastics. Until I can read a peer reviewed analysis of the process both claims null each other out.

Anecdotally, I have never had any yellowed piece of equipment deteriorate to the point of crumbling as you describe.

Please cite a peer reviewed reference. I've read similar claims that RetroBrite will accelerate the deterioration of plastics. Until I can read a peer reviewed analysis of the process both claims null each other out.

Anecdotally, I have never had any yellowed piece of equipment deteriorate to the point of crumbling as you describe.

Agreed.

My biggest concern is that retr0brite is nothing more than a mixture of strong oxidising agents. These will oxidise bromine containing compounds (note it is NOT elemental bromine on the plastic) to something unknown; probably some form of bromous or bromic acid. These same oxidising agents will react in a limited but totally unknown way with the plastic itself.

Another problem is that you may remove any exterior coating on the plastic (i.e. as part of the moulding process) which was present to prevent degradation of the plastic. Several people have reported accelerated re-yellowing of plastic after a retr0brite treatment.

My point is that all plastics are different and without knowing the exact chemistry you will probably do more harm than good in the long run.

Personally I just apply a vinyl/plastic protectant (i.e. armor all) to my plastics whether they are yellow or not. The mild waxes protect the plastic for air/water oxidation and the titanium dioxide protects it from light/UV exposure. Plus it makes it look shiny and new again.

And would highly prefer Local Pickup. If a deal is reached. But
might consider shipping but will be professionally packed. More $$$

I see your location as Central Florida. How far are you from Lake Mary. I'm interested in this but would need to have a good friend pick it up if I win. Do not want to take the chance with shipping this to California. Sorry for not sending a PM. I still can't PM.

About 10 miles from Lake Mary! Might be a snag. The person I got it from might want it back. I will advise. Sorry for late delay. Been busy. You have 39 post you should be able to PM me.

OK reviving this. I have the Lisa back and is for sale. See 1st post for details. Looking to get somewhere in the 950-1,000 range. But negotiable.

Back