• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Testing Mitsumi D509V

raoulduke

Experienced Member
I don't know which category to file this under; sorry.

I got a Mitsumi D509V, which is a 1.2mb (I think) drive, in hopes of replacing the full-height 360k Compaq drive I've been using in my Windows 7 PC (which has a floppy port on the motherboard). I don't know much about diagnostic utilities but so far I've only been able to format/write images in 360k format but not read back anything [which in fairness I'm not sure I've tested with the 360k drive].

Still, could someone recommend a utility to test the range of this drive's functionality? I have thus far never had a problem using either a 3.5" or the 5.25" drive (from 1985, I think, no less) that I mentioned.

Put a 1.2M floppy disk in the drive and format it. Then copy some files to it and read them. If all goes fine the drive is most likely OK.

Thanks. I'll try that later; I have 1 2HD disk, but that may not work given my setup - whether or not the drive works; it didn't work with a DD disk or a 3.5" drive.* [That 3.5" drive works fine, but it just gives an I/O error through Windows 7; maybe a driver issue. It and the 360k PC drive work fine with OmniFlop, which uses a different driver].

But let me clarify, I am going to primarily or maybe exclusively use it with DD and possibly SD disks. So I would like to test functionality re: those. I know HD drives are not guaranteed to work with DD/SD disks, but unless someone knows something I don't about this model I'd still like to test it.

Rather than trial by fire, I'm hoping there's some sort of utility.

*I use them one at a time (i.e. that's not any part of this problem); the setup has not been able to read 2 drives simultaneously, previously.

Hehehehe... trying to use a 1.2M drive to read SD floppies is going to prove to be harrowing, at best! :)

Don't be foolish -- use the correct drive.

And forget about using WIN7 in general with a 5¼" drive. They just don't like each other. :)

I assume that your BIOS setup identifies this as a 1.2M drive. You should probably test by booting DOS, then trying your format and read/write tests.--fewer hoops to jump through.

If you use MS-DOS 6.22 or so, you can use the "FORMAT drive: /U /F:xxx" variant, which won't try to check the disk for a pre-existing format. Saves a lot of time.

Back