• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Motorola EXORciser

Hi Roland,

Ah, well I posted that a long ago to USENET ("Google groups"), so I didn't see it.

Having a working E (CRT Editor) makes trying things much easier. I've already used to help document Motorola's "MPL" language: https://github.com/jhallen/joes-sandbox/tree/master/exorsim/mpl

Yes, booted disk 19 and had disk 26 loaded as second disk.

So now I have some disk images derived from the ones already on bitsavers that I want to contribute back. How did you post your disk images?

Please keep posting documentation you have :) I'm especially looking for any of the language manuals: MPL, COBOL, Fortran, RASM. Also I will emulate the EXORterm if anyone can find the documentation for it. This will allow E to run in screen-editor mode instead of line editor.

I know nothing about the 6809 version of the EXORciser. Documentation and ROMs would be useful...

Thanks,
Joe

Hello Joseph,

Wonderful! Good to know that it works!

I did sent you a message on Google groups, but I really wonder how useful that group system is.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.sys.m6809/JFkd3-2C4g8/yLkfbUEEEH8J

I have also some documentation which is not on the web yet...

Your emulator really surprised me because there seem so be only a
very few EXORciser systems. And they are also a bit unknown I think...

But glad to hear that the images are useful! Did you use disk 19 as bootdisk
and disk 26 as program disk in your simulator?

Regards, Roland

MDOS09! Nice! Now I want to know how it's different from 6800 MDOS..

Got my machine booting again! The memory looked quite ugly.
The PCB was restored years ago because the machine has been in
smoke from a fire... This smoke damaged the pins of the memory chips in that days.

View attachment 21579

So I've removed all the memory chips which were soldered into sockets.
It was a bit time consuming to remove them without damaging the PCB...

View attachment 21580

These are the old memory chips.

View attachment 21581

Fresh new sockets and some old memory chips placed.

View attachment 21582

And really Mdos booting :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

View attachment 21583

Sometimes the machine still gives an EM error.
I think I have to find all the same memory chips.
And I had to use two of the 'original' ones.
Maybe they are not that good any more...

But so far so good!

Regards, Roland

More happening on the Exorciser in the last few months than the last few years!

I have the following manuals.

M6800/M6809 Editorm Resident Editor Reference Manual
M6800 Resident MPL Language Reference Manual
M6800 Basic Interpreter Reference Manual
M6800 Macro Assembler reference Manual
M68SFDU Exordisk 11/111 Disk `Drive Unit Maintenance Manual
M6800 Exorciser 11 User's Guide
M6800 Exorciser User's Guide
Resident Software Supplement M6800 Exorciser User's Guide
MEX68PP1 PROM Programmer Module Supplement M6800 Exorciser User's Guide
M6800EDITORM Resident Editor Reference Manual
M6800 Linking Loader Reference Manual
Micro Basic V1.2, not certain what this is

I have an Exorterm 156 which was intended to have the VDU plus a card cage with the CPU etc, but all that is missing on mine.

Can you scan and post these manuals? The linking loader manual and exorciser user's guide are already available, but the others are not.

Also I'm still looking for the COBOL and FORTRAN compiler manuals.

More happening on the Exorciser in the last few months than the last few years!

I have the following manuals.

M6800/M6809 Editorm Resident Editor Reference Manual
M6800 Resident MPL Language Reference Manual
M6800 Basic Interpreter Reference Manual
M6800 Macro Assembler reference Manual
M68SFDU Exordisk 11/111 Disk `Drive Unit Maintenance Manual
M6800 Exorciser 11 User's Guide
M6800 Exorciser User's Guide
Resident Software Supplement M6800 Exorciser User's Guide
MEX68PP1 PROM Programmer Module Supplement M6800 Exorciser User's Guide
M6800EDITORM Resident Editor Reference Manual
M6800 Linking Loader Reference Manual
Micro Basic V1.2, not certain what this is

I have an Exorterm 156 which was intended to have the VDU plus a card cage with the CPU etc, but all that is missing on mine.

Scan them? Suppose so, but only having a page at a time hand fed scanner it is likely to take a long time. Any particular order of priority?

The Editorm manuals are very different, one has the on screen commands as well as the older line at a time.

I see that the Exordisk uses the Calcomp floppies, the ones with the power sent along the 40 pin data cable. Shudder! My home built Exorciser uses the standard interface floppies so going to be a problem getting it running.

Looking at bitsavers, but where is the top level site that tells you how to send them documents? Do they scan them for you as well?

I have an EXORterm 155. As far as I can tell it was only ever a terminal. I don't see any signs that any sort of card cage could be installed in it somehow. In addition to the standard terminal firmware I think there are some optional firmware EPROMs used with a 68000 development environment. I should dump the EPROM contents sometime if anyone is interested. I have no documentation at all for the EXORterm 155.

Al, thanks for the reply, I have contacted you outside this forum. Some I would want back.

Doesn't the Exorterm look like a standard type of VDU? The 156 is a huge cubical thing with a mainboard in the bottom about 2' square. As far as I can see it is just the terminal. At the back of the case is a rectangular opening which could have a standard card cage backplane fixed for the standard 43+43 Exorciser boards. The PSU looks large enough to run both the terminal and the card cage.

I just took a look at the logic board in my EXORterm 155.

It contains the following HN462716G 2KB EPROMs:

51AW1018B22 U49 EXTENDED DSPLAY
(empty socket)
(empty socket)
51AW1018B24 U78 TERMINAL CNTRL
51AW1018B25 U89 68K EDIT MODE
51AW1018B26 U98 BASIC DSPLAY #2
51AW1018B27 U104 BASIC DISPLAY #1
(empty socket)

There is an empty footprint for an 86-pin connector, dual row by 43-pin. I assume that must be a standard EXORbus pinout with +5V on the first 3 pins of both rows and GND on the last 3 pins of both rows. On the expanded EXORterm I assume the backplane would connect there and be mounted vertically.

Nice, so much documentation!

I have:

M68SFDU Exordisk 11/111 Disk Drive Unit Maintenance Manual (Already scanned!)

M68SFDC, M68SFDC2, M68SFDC3, M6809FDCONT2, M6809FDCONT3 Floppydisk controller module.

CMS 9600A single board microcomputer, manual of instructions (schematics, component layout, software information)
(This is not a motorola board but CMS, but is is also a 84 pin Motorola EXORciser bus. 6802 cpu)

Regards, Roland

Has anyone come across 68bits.com? Has some interesting documentation scanned but waiting for Freescale approval, in 2012? has it arrived?

Has anyone used these FPGA implementations of the 6809? How good are they?

Has anyone come across 68bits.com? Has some interesting documentation scanned but waiting for Freescale approval, in 2012? has it arrived?

Maybe it's a good idea to sent them an email?
I wonder why it is waiting for Freescale. Maybe copyright issues?

Regards, Roland

Yes, but I am getting very wary of blowing my email address to anyone, the spamming problem just gets worse and worse hence finding out if someone else knows it is a legitimate site.

It is like these advert collecting sites. You search for something and see it come up on ebay and click on it only to find that it isn't really ebay at all. Really spoils the use of the internet to my mind.

I got my hands on EXORterm manuals, so I've implemented an emulator for it in EXORciser simulator: https://github.com/jhallen/joes-sandbox/tree/master/exorsim

EDITORM now works in CRT mode- I've never seen this before so I'm happy. I'll send the manuals to Al Kassow once he gives me his address.

I have an EXORterm 155 without any manuals so I'll be glad to see scans of those manuals when they are available. I'll have to take a look at your emulator too.

I have an EXORterm 155 without any manuals so I'll be glad to see scans of those manuals when they are available. I'll have to take a look at your emulator too.

The manuals are good- they have full schematics. I summarized the control codes in a text file in my github repository (see previous link).

Glen Slick just reminded me of this. Did I ever send you a mailing address?

ugh.. it looks like this fell through the cracks

we just got an Exorcisor, Floppy and Exorterm 150 last week, and i've updated the floppy images and manual pages, and dumped some of the firmware

getting the manuals I promised to scan would be a good thing, esp the Exorterm 155 manual.

I just took a look at the logic board in my EXORterm 155.

It contains the following HN462716G 2KB EPROMs:

51AW1018B22 U49 EXTENDED DSPLAY
(empty socket)
(empty socket)
51AW1018B24 U78 TERMINAL CNTRL
51AW1018B25 U89 68K EDIT MODE
51AW1018B26 U98 BASIC DSPLAY #2
51AW1018B27 U104 BASIC DISPLAY #1
(empty socket)

There is an empty footprint for an 86-pin connector, dual row by 43-pin. I assume that must be a standard EXORbus pinout with +5V on the first 3 pins of both rows and GND on the last 3 pins of both rows. On the expanded EXORterm I assume the backplane would connect there and be mounted vertically.

Glen, did you ever dump these?

I'm trying to figure out how to dump the masked roms currently.

--

Got a rom dump, took some pics, put them up at http://bitsavers.org/components/motorola/6800/EXORterm_150
pins 21 and 18 needed to be high, and pin 20 gnd. Worked for all five parts.

I'm still fiddling with the char gen rom. Weird 24-pin pinout (5v on 2, gnd on 13)

Last edited:
Back