• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Help : "Direct" Print screen, under DOS and EVEN under "BIOS outputs" ???

Gerardcjat

Experienced Member
Need Help : "Direct" Print screen, under DOS and EVEN under "BIOS outputs" ???

If my memory does not fail, on vintage PC and Tandy / RS, one was able to "directly" Print Screen to the printer, command was something like : "*" + Print screen .

Well, is there NOWADAY a simple way, to dump the screen content to the printer, when the "screen output" is
- From DOS
and more important :
- even under BIOS screens ??

Thank for your help

ISTR Ctrl+PrtScr would do it. Remember to load GRAPHIC.COM if you're not printing a text screen.

I wrote a TSR for myself back in the day that printed to a file instead.

The best DOS print screen to file utility I found for my use (your use may vary) when I needed one was Screen Thief. I think I got my copy from Trixter here.

Well, is there NOWADAY a simple way, to dump the screen content to the printer, when the "screen output" is
- From DOS
and more important :
- even under BIOS screens ??

Your question isn't quite specific enough to answer correctly, but if you were implying grabbing the screen from a DOS program running in Windows, try the vDOS emulator as it was built for this sort of thing.

As for dumping BIOS screens, most BIOS screendumps I've seen have been the VGA output captured by a capture device that accepts VGA input.

As for dumping BIOS screens, most BIOS screendumps I've seen have been the VGA output captured by a capture device that accepts VGA input.
Thanks everybody for your help !

@Trixter : That is exactly what I want do do .... But I do not know any "VGA capture device" ( except camera ;-) ) Can you direct me to something, please ?
BTW, one computer concerned has EGA/CGA output, the others have VGA, no problem .

There are a bunch out there, here's one with composite input too...guess you could use that for CGA if you don't mind the fuzz.

Anyone here have Screen Thief 2.00? This was the first freeware version and had the ability to save to GIFs. ST 2.01 and later removed GIF compatibility. Also anyone have the manual for this program? TIA!

But addonsoftware will not print if you are in the BIOS software.

I think the secret is which printer you have connected. A laser printer won't be a good idea as the print screen key does not send a linefeed at the end of the screenshot.

Back