• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to burn Kickstart ROM's for Amiga 500

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
As title says is there a good tutorial or anyone here have any good luck burning kickstart ROMS for Amigas? I have an A500 I want to try
and update to KS 3.1. I have a USB GQ-4X willem EPROM programmer and the ADP-54 16 bit adapter. Try as I might I am having no luck.
I am using MX27C4100 EPROMS which should work. I am using a file downloaded that says it is for the A500.

The mainboard rev is a 6a.

Any help appreciated.

Didn't a thread just get shut down for piracy?

Unless I missed something, you still have to buy Kickstart ROMs.

What about burning a 3.9 ROM? I bought Amiga OS 3.9 (on CD) as well as legit 3.1 ROM. Now Amiga OS 3.9, when it boots cold, reads the 3.1 ROM, copies and patch it in fast ram, then reboots on the patched ram image. If someone (like me) would like to burn a 3.9 ROM, to speed up boot time and free the image ram, would it be considered legal?

Yes, as far as I know. That's different because you'd never use both instances simultaneously.

There is a "rekick" board that boots 3.9 directly. I have one. I can't remember the name. I bought it to directly boot 4.0, which is what it was supposed to do, but it doesn't.

It would be a much better solution to burn a 3.9 ROM. Amiga ROMs have funny pinouts, IIRC. some of them have different pinouts than others! I remember having to wire up different jumpers with different chips of the same version.

Back