• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Upgrading the Tandy 1000 SL

Smack2k

Veteran Member
I am upgrading some components in my Tandy 1000 SL and wanted to make sure I am getting the right stuff.

First of all, I am getting a Dallas Clock Smartwatch Chip for it (I am adding the LoTech Compact Flash Adapter / Card), and wanted to know the right one to get? is the 1216E the right one, no matter the specs of the chip otherwise? I have seen mentions of 64K - 240K RAM or 240K - 1 M RAM listed on ebay, with the chips and with my Tandy having 640K installed, would I get the 240K -1M version or does it not matter?

Or, what is the process (if possible) to use this Clock Chip - http://www.jameco.com/1/1/25731-ds12887-ds1287-real-time-clock.html - and install it in the 1000SL? I have heard of a "piggy back process" but dont know the details on that.

Second, I am looking for a Floppy extender cable to add the 3 1/2" option to the case, like the one in vwestlife's video at the 4:05 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlTHaI8OVs

Anyone know a good place to get one or something like it that will work?

You need to get a DS1216E. The DS12887 will not work.

I only have about a 50% success rate of the $6 Chinese DS1216E chips working. But compared to $40 for one from a U.S. seller, it might be worth the gamble.

The floppy cable adapter was made by Tandon (part number 309e1AK629). But good look finding one... Tandon used to sell them on eBay, but no more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281204918741

Last edited:
I just want to comment on your video quality/presentation.

Compared to most of the videos I've seen on YouTube yours has to be at the top of the list. Not that the others don't tend to be quite good for the most part. This one of yours is just a notch above most of the others.

Can I use a regular floppy extender cable for it?

IS that "piggyback" process with the Dallas chip I have worth a shot? I dont know how to do the process, but cant be that hard, can it?

EDIT - I bought a 1216E Dallas Chip...hopefully it works!

Last edited:
IS that "piggyback" process with the Dallas chip I have worth a shot? I dont know how to do the process, but cant be that hard, can it?

In the 1000SL the Dallas chip goes into the empty ROM socket. There is no need to piggyback because the BIOS ROM gets its own separate socket.

What do you guys recommend to punch holes in the floppy cable?
I have a screwdriver with a 1.25mm blade that I think I could do the job successfully with but the one with a 1mm blade would be even better and if I had one with a .75mm blade I'd probably give it a go as it would cause even less peripheral damage. Don't forget, after you cut the wires you need to ensure that the cut ends remain insulated.

I have a screwdriver with a 1.25mm blade that I think I could do the job successfully with but the one with a 1mm blade would be even better and if I had one with a .75mm blade I'd probably give it a go as it would cause even less peripheral damage. Don't forget, after you cut the wires you need to ensure that the cut ends remain insulated.

I bought a couple extender cables and am going to give this is a shot when they arrive, if anything else, to see if I can do it.

I figured as much after looking closer at it...I wonder what a poster from another forum a few years ago meant when he said he installed one of those on an SL and piggybacked it with a BIOS chip...

Oh well, doesnt matter....I have the good one coming.

Does anyone know how much abuse a Compact Flash Card can take? I got my Tandy 1000 TL using Arachne

Was installing my 3 1/2" Drive into the 1000 SL (thanks Stone for the Card Edge Connector to get that done) and noticed that my Cable (that attached the 5 1/4" drive and will now also attach the 3 1/2") that is installed in the SL already has the holes punched in it in what appears to be the proper areas for it to not draw power. It appears to be a cable from Tandy as the holes punched in look to be machine done and not done by a knife or some other manual method.

With this being the case, I can assume that this cable doesnt need anything done to it and I can safely install the 3 1/2" drive on it correct?

Back