• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New S-100 Memory / Front Panel Board Ready for Production

Bob Bell

Hello S-100 enthusiasts,

My name is Bob Bell, and I built my first S-100 computer when I was in high school in the mid-seventies. That original system still exists in a modified form. A few years ago, I found the S100Computers web site where I discovered that there are still a good many people like me, who enjoy tinkering with the old S-100 stuff, and, indeed are even creating new boards with modern techniques. After purchasing and building several of these new boards, and using them to upgrade my S-100 computers, I decided that I wanted my S-100 computers to run CP/M 3 (aka CP/M Plus.) But I didn't have the memory to do banked mode. Further, I have always wanted the function of a real front panel, like found on the original Altair, the better Imsai, or the best Ithaca Intersystems machines. To make a long story short, I designed a S-100 board to provide up to 1MB of RAM in sixteen 64K banks, and also to give me the front-panel capabilities I always wanted. Details of this new board, called the Mem8Plus, are available on the S100Computers web site. The link here will take you there directly.

http://s100computers.com/My System Pages/MEM8Plus/MEM8Plus Board.htm

The board is currently in pre-order. Pre-orders will close on March 18, and I will be submitting the production design to the pcb fab. Although there may be some extras from the production run, I suggest you pre-order before March 18 to be sure you get one. Ordering is simple: just post to the S100Computer group, or if you are not a member, send email directly to me: bbell770<at>gmail<dot>com. At this point, with the pre-orders that are already in , the board is going to cost about $35. The more orders, however, the lower the cost. You don't pay me for the board until you get it. By then, you will know the actual cost of the board, and then you simply add the cost of shipping (you'll see it on the outside of the package) and send me a Paypal payment for the sum, using the no-charge friends and family option.

Please note that this is a bare board, with no components on it. The S100Computers write-up includes all the information you need to build the board, including parts lists, step-by-step assembly instructions, and even the schematics. You have to know something about building electronics, and how to solder well. I think those requirements are probably covered nicely by most S-100 hobbyists, and members of this forum, but I wanted everyone to know just to be sure.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to get back to you as soon as possible.

Bob Bell

Last call for first production run

Last call for first production run

I will be finalizing the order with my board fab after noon (EDT), Friday, March 18. If you wish to purchase one or more, please reply on this forum or on the S100Computers forum ASAP.

Regards,

Bob Bell

Hello S-100 enthusiasts,

My name is Bob Bell, and I built my first S-100 computer when I was in high school in the mid-seventies. That original system still exists in a modified form. A few years ago, I found the S100Computers web site where I discovered that there are still a good many people like me, who enjoy tinkering with the old S-100 stuff, and, indeed are even creating new boards with modern techniques. After purchasing and building several of these new boards, and using them to upgrade my S-100 computers, I decided that I wanted my S-100 computers to run CP/M 3 (aka CP/M Plus.) But I didn't have the memory to do banked mode. Further, I have always wanted the function of a real front panel, like found on the original Altair, the better Imsai, or the best Ithaca Intersystems machines. To make a long story short, I designed a S-100 board to provide up to 1MB of RAM in sixteen 64K banks, and also to give me the front-panel capabilities I always wanted. Details of this new board, called the Mem8Plus, are available on the S100Computers web site. The link here will take you there directly.

http://s100computers.com/My System Pages/MEM8Plus/MEM8Plus Board.htm

The board is currently in pre-order. Pre-orders will close on March 18, and I will be submitting the production design to the pcb fab. Although there may be some extras from the production run, I suggest you pre-order before March 18 to be sure you get one. Ordering is simple: just post to the S100Computer group, or if you are not a member, send email directly to me: bbell770<at>gmail<dot>com. At this point, with the pre-orders that are already in , the board is going to cost about $35. The more orders, however, the lower the cost. You don't pay me for the board until you get it. By then, you will know the actual cost of the board, and then you simply add the cost of shipping (you'll see it on the outside of the package) and send me a Paypal payment for the sum, using the no-charge friends and family option.

Please note that this is a bare board, with no components on it. The S100Computers write-up includes all the information you need to build the board, including parts lists, step-by-step assembly instructions, and even the schematics. You have to know something about building electronics, and how to solder well. I think those requirements are probably covered nicely by most S-100 hobbyists, and members of this forum, but I wanted everyone to know just to be sure.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to get back to you as soon as possible.

Bob Bell

Back