• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

commodore 1702 monitor

craton765

Hello I just got a 1702 monitor for my C64 over ebay. The first time I turned it on it make a high pitched squeal like nails on a chalkboard and refused to turn on after that. I decide to open it up to see whats wrong and, well...
IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg
Basically I want to know how screwed i am, because I think it's time to plan a funeral for this thing.

it was sold as confirmed working so it was probably shipping. Are there any parts in particular I should pull out before getting rid of it to keep as spares for what ever one I try to get next?

I have a 1702 with a broken case that you can have cheap if you are in the NY area. I'm pretty sure the internals are good but I can pull it out and test it if you're interested and nearby.

Depending how far you want to go, you can try a tube swap. What are the details of the label on the back of the CRT tube? Can you snap a picture of that label? If you can find a 13" TV that takes a similar tube and maybe has a similar yoke (if necessary, sorry not familiar if these have bonded yokes). Depending on the tube number, it might not be that hard to find something similar.

Back