• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade adware keeps coming back!

vwestlife

Veteran Member
Anybody else experiencing this? Last night on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine, the Windows 10 upgrade adware "update" (KB3035583) came back for the third time. The first time last year, it was an "optional update" and I chose to hide it. Then about a month ago, it came back as a "recommended update" and I hid it again. And now last night it came back as an "important update" and I had to hide it again. It's a good thing I have automatic updates turned off, or the damn thing would've installed itself!

And yes, I do have GWX Control Panel installed, and as of about a week ago, it said I had no traces of the Windows 10 adware on my system. But Microsoft keeps changing things to purposely get around GWX Control Panel and push the Windows 10 adware in your face anyway.

I bet next time, KB3035583 will come back as a new category Microsoft invented called "Your computer will spontaneously combust if you don't install this update"!

Anybody else experiencing this? Last night on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine, the Windows 10 upgrade adware "update" (KB3035583) came back for the third time. The first time last year, it was an "optional update" and I chose to hide it. Then about a month ago, it came back as a "recommended update" and I hid it again. And now last night it came back as an "important update" and I had to hide it again. It's a good thing I have automatic updates turned off, or the damn thing would've installed itself!

And yes, I do have GWX Control Panel installed, and as of about a week ago, it said I had no traces of the Windows 10 adware on my system. But Microsoft keeps changing things to purposely get around GWX Control Panel and push the Windows 10 adware in your face anyway.

I bet next time, KB3035583 will come back as a new category Microsoft invented called "Your computer will spontaneously combust if you don't install this update"!

This might help:

The first thing you need to do is remove updates that power these notifications. This is done in the following way:

1. Tap on the Windows-key on the keyboard, type programs and features, and hit enter. This opens the list of software installed on the system.
  2. Switch to "view installed updates" on the left side of the window.
  3. If you are using Windows 7, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917
  4. If you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978
  5. Right-click one update after the other and select uninstall from the context menu.
  6. Select Restart Later when the prompt appears and remove all updates first from the system.
  7. Once done, restart the computer to complete the process.

This might help:

The first thing you need to do is remove updates that power these notifications. This is done in the following way:

1. Tap on the Windows-key on the keyboard, type programs and features, and hit enter. This opens the list of software installed on the system.
  2. Switch to "view installed updates" on the left side of the window.
  3. If you are using Windows 7, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917
  4. If you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978
  5. Right-click one update after the other and select uninstall from the context menu.
  6. Select Restart Later when the prompt appears and remove all updates first from the system.
  7. Once done, restart the computer to complete the process.

But I never installed 3035583 in the first place. And every time Windows Update suggests it, I hide it. But Microsoft keeps changing the classification of 3035583 (first "optional", then "recommended", and now "important"), allowing it to come back even though I've already hidden it multiple times!

I thought that Windows 10 offer was only supposed to last so long. Or is it that when the offer runs out, they will instead simply assimilate everyone to Windows 10 without even asking? At the rate they are going, that is what they will do.

I'm trying out the mentioned "GWX Control Panel" program to see how well it works. From what I understand, one of its features is that it can kill and delete the processes that tell Microsoft your computer is "good enough" for Windows 10, and then hopefully you'll stop getting the notifications.

gwx control panel works for me. Just be prepared to re-run it anytime the popup app is updated, updates will reset the associated registry entries to default state.

I thought that Windows 10 offer was only supposed to last so long. Or is it that when the offer runs out, they will instead simply assimilate everyone to Windows 10 without even asking? At the rate they are going, that is what they will do.

MS is currently planning on offering Windows 10 free upgrades until 29 July 2016. I doubt they will force the upgrade but the encouragement will increase which will annoy users on the fence even more and therefore slow Windows 10 uptake. MS has done an impressive feat causing people to refuse free stuff.

MS is currently planning on offering Windows 10 free upgrades until 29 July 2016. I doubt they will force the upgrade but the encouragement will increase which will annoy users on the fence even more and therefore slow Windows 10 uptake. MS has done an impressive feat causing people to refuse free stuff.

The funny thing is, you can still buy a brand new Dell with Windows 7 installed. Why is MS letting people buy computers with Windows 7 while they're also pushing Windows 10 as an "important update"?

The funny thing is, you can still buy a brand new Dell with Windows 7 installed. Why is MS letting people buy computers with Windows 7 while they're also pushing Windows 10 as an "important update"?

Because some people have software that won't run on Windows 10 and MS would rather sell an old OS than sell no OS.

Some of the more aggressive copy protection schemes do not work on Windows 10 yet or require purchase of an updated version to work. A free OS update isn't quite as favorable when thousands need to be spent upgrading other software.

Ah reminds me that i should re-activate the windows Update on my Fujitsu F-07c phone. I'm kinda curious how well it works with Windows 10. Well the PC part, not the phone part of course. Ahhhh i wish i could upgrade the Symbian on it... XD

So where does this leave most Windows users?

My former accountant is now in his 80s and calls me whenever he has a PC issue. It was never a real problem for me before because Windows, before the intrusive internet we have today, wasn't too hard to fix. Now that his PC is running Windows 7 and connected to the internet, I know he is going to have problems I can't fix, and they are going to occur more and more frequently as updates get pushed in simply because someone unknowingly clinks on a box.

When does (did?) the PC stop being a useful tool for the masses? It seems to me the amount of knowledge needed to prevent a Windows PC from getting screwed up is not something nearly 99.9% of people will be able to handle - even career IT people.

Joe

It leaves Windows users screwed up the butt.

Back in the Windows 95 days I had to write lots of instructions for idiots, but it was a breeze because desktop controls were constant and reliably in the same place. With Windows 98 to Windows XP it was more difficult because desktops could be configured differently, but still do-able. (Vista and 7, I dunno) but with Windows 8 it was so bad anyone doing serious work with their computer had to have a third party start menu replacement.

But now we are in a time where menus, icons, and whatever may change, rearrange, or completely disappear every Tuesday. Not to mention breaking software backwards compatiblity or changed functionality. And that is for almost any application or OS.

http://www.pmslweb.com/the-blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/9-funny-windows-10-the-shining.jpg

All of this seems really odd to me. My main Windows 7 PC must not meet the Win 10 minimum requirements in some way. I have yet to get the first "Get Windows 10" popup. Don't want it, really. Just feel left out, I guess. sniffle. If it offered a Win 7 / Win 10 dual boot option I'd be on it tomorrow. :p But that would make too much sense.

All of this seems really odd to me. My main Windows 7 PC must not meet the Win 10 minimum requirements in some way. I have yet to get the first "Get Windows 10" popup. Don't want it, really. Just feel left out, I guess. sniffle. If it offered a Win 7 / Win 10 dual boot option I'd be on it tomorrow. :p But that would make too much sense.

You most likely have the "Get Windows 10" update installed already, but it has kept quiet and not bugged you because it determined that for whatever reason according to Microsoft's rules, your system is not eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. But don't be surprised if it eventually alerts you to that fact and invites you to buy either a paid copy of Windows 10, or a new computer!

If it offered a Win 7 / Win 10 dual boot option I'd be on it tomorrow. :p But that would make too much sense.

W10 does offer dual (triple) boot by default. Just the other day I reinstalled W10 from scratch and it found two separate HD's which had XP and W10 32-bit. All of this was offered on a soft menu upon POST/Boot with no configuration on my part. BTW, that 32-bit W10 install was experimental and a real dog. It only saw 1.9 GB of the 16 GB installed and slow as molasses.

So if you are running a pirated copy of Windows 7, you are not eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10, and then MS won't pester you with such?

I knew it I should have gone that route...

Back