• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Happy 40th birthday Apple

Corey986

Administrator
Happy 40th anniversary and birthday to Apple Computers

I quickly put together a video on the anniversary of an original Apple-1 power on to celebrate the day. Apologies for the shakiness, the person I picked for the taking the video didn't have a clue how to use my camera. Next time I'll use a tripod.

http://youtu.be/c_mU1VlkofA

Cheers,
Corey

Last edited:
Beautiful Apple I board and case. Video was interesting and entertaining!
I have never owned an Apple I or a II. But I have quite and few of all the other Apple ][ critters.
Puzzled I am though over the iPhone and the software appearing on the Apple I. What magic here appears?

Regards

Puzzled I am though over the iPhone and the software appearing on the Apple I. What magic here appears?

Pretty easy... Instead of a cassette player, you use the audio from an iPod/iPhone. Doesn't work on all Vintage machines, for example I have yet to be able to load data on my TRS-80 PC1 from an iPod, but it works fine from a cassette. Yet the TRS-80 PC2 works with an iPod.

I assembled a Brain Board kit from Mike Willegal which is a card to do Apple I emulation on an Apple II series. I push programs using Windows Media Player:
wordcrossmp.jpgwordcross3.jpg

Nice vid.

Me and the wife went to the Vintage Computer Festival in Roswell, GA today, and it was very impressive. We first drove up and saw three police cars and about 4 policeman outside the bldg'ing and at least two inside, one roaming around the entire show and one constantly standing in front of a room. Didn't know what was in this room until we went inside. What we found in the room was an original Apple 1 in a sealed case (not a replica). Rumors around said the computer was one of the last 40 in existence, and was valued over 2 hundred + thousand dollars. I share this because I very much enjoyed seeing this system in PERSON. There was much other Apple history about Steve J. and Steve W - very nice. Re: this video, I was slightly surprised how the guy showing his Apple 1 wasn't exactly using kid gloves moving it around and stuff. If it was mine I'd be using gloves, air sealed room, and etc. if it's worth that kind of money. Ok slightly exaggerating on an air sealed room (but not entirely), but these are very rare and sensitive systems and care should be taken at all means.

It was very impressive to see a REAL Apple 1 on display.

Steve J. is missed!

Nice vid.

Me and the wife went to the Vintage Computer Festival in Roswell, GA today, and it was very impressive. We first drove up and saw three police cars and about 4 policeman outside the bldg'ing and at least two inside, one roaming around the entire show and one constantly standing in front of a room. Didn't know what was in this room until we went inside. What we found in the room was an original Apple 1 in a sealed case (not a replica). Rumors around said the computer was one of the last 40 in existence, and was valued over 2 hundred + thousand dollars. I share this because I very much enjoyed seeing this system in PERSON. There was much other Apple history about Steve J. and Steve W - very nice. Re: this video, I was slightly surprised how the guy showing his Apple 1 wasn't exactly using kid gloves moving it around and stuff. If it was mine I'd be using gloves, air sealed room, and etc. if it's worth that kind of money. Ok slightly exaggerating on an air sealed room (but not entirely), but these are very rare and sensitive systems and care should be taken at all means.

It was very impressive to see a REAL Apple 1 on display.

Steve J. is missed!

I have seen the VCF SE Apple museum area before, it was very impressive and cool. I actually liked the Apple ][ prototype stuff more than the Apple-1 stuff, but I get to play with real Apple-1s all the time getting them to run for various owners and auction houses. There are very few which actually run or can be brought into running condition without swapping out major components and board level repairs. For the operation units, I'd say I've working on more than half of them. The unit at VCF SE isn't operational, but is one of the rare unmodified units, like the one in the video. If you want to see an operational unit I know of a few museums who will be putting one on display later this year and powering them up on a regular basis. Even CHM in Mountainview doesn't own an operational unit, but they are lucky with a phone call they can get more than half the known working units there if they desired.

As for using kid gloves, I am actually very careful with the machines I work on. I know you were partially joking, but white gloves BTW are the worst thing you can use when working on a vintage machine. You can't feel heat from chips that might be about to smoke, you can slip on the slick surfaces of a PCB edge and more importantly, static. If you look at the table I had the machines on, there is a blue mat. That is an antistatic mat that is wired into the ground for the house, though usually the most valuable item I work on there is an Altair or Sol20. I usually have to work on Apple-1 units at the location they are at. The only thing I should really do is make more room on the bench by moving the 3d printer that belongs to my kids. That project is underway to make an area to put that thing. I have had to make comments on more than one occasion to a museum not to use the white gloves when picking up an Apple-1 board. I keep telling them just wash your hands and clean them with ISP, touch a ground point and then handle the board. Picking up painted items are another story. I actually do use gloves when picking up some of my painted computers.

Cheers,
Corey

Last edited:
That was a beautiful tribute to the Apple I. And simply a beautiful Apple I demonstration.

I would like a copy of the 40th BDay party program. I have an Apple II I would like to run it on.

I would also like to meet other collectors in the Daytona / Jacksonville area, who share my same enthusiasm for Vintage Computers and Video Game Systems.

Attachments

• 2016-03-28_8-16-49.jpg
    2016-03-28_8-16-49.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1
I did not receive this message via email. I just happened to logon and see it.

No I do not have a BrainBoard or an Apple I. I only have an Apple II. They do use the same 6502 processor?

You would have to essentially re-write the whole routine. The video on the Apple-1 is very different that displaying text on the Apple II

Back