• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unknown Computer Parts.. Newbie Here

travlincub321

HI! So I cleaned out my laundryroom attic today and found some interesting things... I found this mother board and i386 chipset... Its of no use to me, and am wondering if its just recycling or would some one want it on the cheap?

Attachments

• i386 chip.jpg
    i386 chip.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1
  • moatherboard 2.jpg
    moatherboard 2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1
  • mother board.jpg
    mother board.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Also have these unkown parts

Also have these unkown parts

All where wrapped up and in a box.... 3.5" floppy drive is all I know

I also have a NIB Unsealed Logitech Series 9 Serial Dos mouse, which looking on FLEBAY theres a sealed one for $45.... Thought i could sell mine for like $35 shipped?

Lost with this stuff... WOuld be nice for extra cash as I am very sick and need money since i can't work

Attachments

• another card2.jpg
    another card2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1
  • big long thing1.jpg
    big long thing1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
  • hardrive.jpg
    hardrive.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1
  • bluething.jpg
    bluething.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1
  • floppy drive.jpg
    floppy drive.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1
  • idkcar.jpg
    idkcar.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1
  • idkcard2.jpg
    idkcard2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1
Looks like stuff that someone would probably be interested in for the right price. If you're looking to sell, I would post this in the "for sale" area...or perhaps it can be moved as-is.

Wesley

Yes, that 386 board looks to be a special one. Firstly it has 8 SIMM slots, which is quite a lot for that era.
Secondly, one of the expansion slots is not regular ISA, but it is longer, so that may be some custom/localbus slot.

The extra long slot is likely for memory expansion.

The Orchid card looks to have both EGA and VGA connectors. It which should sell fast.

Thanks!

Thanks!

That's an OAK, not an Orchid. :)

I just need help id'ing it... I wonderd if it was a special board...Is there a make/model any one can tell or?

I will happily place an ad up in the for sale section for the mouse at least...

I have no idea what the OAK is..... If you guys can repost a pic i posted with a general idea or not, i'd appreciate...

Sorry im a yutz, just don't know stuff this far back

Yes, that 386 board looks to be a special one. Firstly it has 8 SIMM slots, which is quite a lot for that era.
Secondly, one of the expansion slots is not regular ISA, but it is longer, so that may be some custom/localbus slot.

I would think those are quite common; those are 8 bit simm sockets and board would require populating in sets of four. Judging from full size AT form factor it's quite old; not sure if it'll support even 4MB simms.

Nice find. Most likely the components where cast offs from when someone decided to do an upgrade.

Yeah 8 simm slots in early 386DX boards were quite common. My 386DX25 is of the same era with a similar form factor as the OPs mobo without the extended slot. That slot may have been for a riser card to mount the isa expansion cards in a horizontal position for a slimline case.

On later smaller AT form factor 386SX motherboards it was quite common to have four 30pin simm slots.

Nice find. You shouldn't have much problems selling the components. All that's needed to make a complete system is ram, a suitable case with psu, monitor and keyboard

Last edited:
What's nice about full sized boards like that is that they don't really have chipsets, so if something gets fried you might be able to repair it using off the shelf parts. I'd say that since the board has a special slot for a memory board it likely doesn't support 4MB SIMMs, but you won't know for sure until you try. In any case, more than 4-8MB on a 386 is pretty much useless.

I just need help id'ing it... I wonderd if it was a special board...Is there a make/model any one can tell or?

I will happily place an ad up in the for sale section for the mouse at least...

I have no idea what the OAK is..... If you guys can repost a pic i posted with a general idea or not, i'd appreciate...

Sorry im a yutz, just don't know stuff this far back

This one:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30906&d=1461920568

HD15 and DE9 connectors imply it's an EGA/VGA combo card, which is a desirable item for some people.

EDIT: As for the others, the blue one looks like a serial/parallel interface card and the long one looks like a hard drive controller (might go with that Toshiba drive that's also pictured, but I haven't looked up the model number so I'm not sure).

Back