• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT-Software for my Schneider Euro-PC NecV20@9.54 Mhz Monochrome

Most interesting would be Software that uses Textmode or Hercules 720x348@1Bit
and or software that uses a covox and runs on that machine.

Thx
Doc

Only 512 KB of RAM? Consider expanding to 640 KB, if possible.

Anyway, vast majority of popular PC software from the 80s and early 90s should work: WordPerfect, ChiWriter, Lotus 123, Quattro Pro, dBase, and so on.
If you want to write your own programs, try Turbo C 2.0, Turbo Pascal 5.5, or other tools from that era.
You can try running Windows 3.0, but I'm not sure if 512 KB RAM is enough, with 640 KB it definitely works on XT-class machines.
As for Covox, you already have GLX, and that's probably the only MOD-player fast enough for XTs.

EuroPC lacks extra sockets for adding memory. Most software that would run well on it will work just about as well with 512k as with 640kB. Since it only has one expansion slot, save that for something more useful than memory.

Windows 2.x runs great with HGC and there is enough early software to show the graphics. Unfortunately, some of the Windows 2 games were not designed with monochrome limitations in mind so the default Windows conversion palette may result in some ugly images. Win 3 real mode would be running against the limits of the box; expect lots of discarding and reloading.

The EuroPC has only one 8Bit ISA Slot. I put a LoTech XT-IDE in it, because I think that is the best usage of this slot. Going back to floppys or ZipDrives slows down the working speed a lot.
Yesterday I also installed Win1.03 and Geoworks 1.2 pro. Both run also good on my machine, but GEM ist the fastet one. There is no chance of upgrading the memory because the are no
Ram-Slot's inside. The EuroPC II has the option to go for 768KB (640KB+128KB Ramdrive). The EuroPC II has also a socket for an 8087, mine does not have that. The 87emu Programm
does not work for Sketch3 :(

Maybe. The lack of slots issue is something that keeps coming up.

XT-IDE + Floppy Controller + RAM would be awesome. But probably would be a big and expensive board with lots of components. I think in a few years time some through hole components are not gonna be available. So maybe its a good idea to design with surface mount components only.

My only problem with surface mount components are those damn resistor arrays, like the ones on the Lo-tech 1MB RAM board. Annoying little buggers.

Pictures:

Attachments

• P1090152.jpg
    P1090152.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 3
  • P1090153.jpg
    P1090153.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 3
  • P1090154.jpg
    P1090154.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3
Back