• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My first Amiga

fatwizard

Veteran Member
Hello everyone. I joined Freecycle a couple of years ago after reading a post here on the forum (I can't recall the specifics) about snagging a great old computer someone wanted rid of. I have scanned the Freecycle emails faithfully and found mostly nothing of interest. That changed earlier this week as I spotted a posting for a "Amiga 500 system". I responded immediately, got a positive response the next day. I made the hour trip and picked the system up that night.

Low and behold, it is a complete system! The computer, with the 501 memory and clock expansion, a 1084 monitor, an external floppy drive, and a Star NX1000 printer. The software that came with it includes Workbench 1.2, the extras disk, two games, and Word Perfect. The person that gave this to me told me it was their first computer, acquired in 1988, and used until 1994. It had been all been put back in the original boxes and stored well in the intervening years.

I had zero experience with Amigas, and I have been having the time of my life learning about my new toy. The two issues it turned out to have were a leaking battery in the 501, and the built in floppy wouldn't read disks. I got luck with the battery, the damage to the board was minimal, and after cleaning it up and replacing battery it works fine. The internal floppy drive (Epson SMD-400) has defied my attempts at repair. Heck, I can't even get it all the way apart to access the circuit boards. I robbed the Chinon FB-354 from the external drive to get the system running. I have quite a few 3.5" floppy drives in my stuff, and have been trying to modify one of them to work in the Amiga. It's a work in progress, but no luck so far. I can see from my internet searches that floppy drive problems are common. I would love to hear what others have done about replacing the Amiga floppy drives. I have put together a null modem cable, and have successfully connected it to a PC so I can make disks from ADF files, but mercy does this thing ever need at least two drives.

Sorry for the long post. My excitement for my new project is hard to contain. I am already deep into my old PCs, and my 8bit C64s and Atari 800/800XL systems, but I have never had a machine of this class (Amiga/Atari ST) and would welcome everyone's thoughts on using and maintaining this beauty.

amiga500_1.jpgAmiga500_2.jpg

P.S. I am sorry for the poor pictures. I have trouble maintaining the quality while re-sizing them to make file size limits.

Very nice. Apparently the done thing in Amiga circles right now is to replace the floppy drive with a modded Gotek floppy emulator. If you're careful you can install it so the USB port and buttons are accessible through the floppy slot without modifying the case.

I do know that the Kickstart 1.2 ROM doesn't support hard drive booting. If you manage to find a sidecar HD expansion you'll either need a bootstrap floppy or upgrade to at least the 1.3 ROM.

Yeah, everyone is replacing their internal drives with a gotek, but personally, I'd move it to the first external. That way you can still boot from a normal floppy and make your adf files onto the df1:.

Of course, if you already have all the files you want, go ahead and swap out df0:. But hang to it. You never know when you might need it.

Plus, I just like the sound of a regular floppy churning away as it loads everything up!

One important thing I learned very soon after I got my first Amiga was that if you connect a regular PC printer to the parallel port, it will fry a CIA because Commodore made the decision to put a signal on one of the pins that are normally ground on a Centronics printer connection. You have to cut the pin in the printer or in the Amiga and leave it disconnected. But I suppose your system already has that fix. :)

===Jac

Last edited:
Yeah, everyone is replacing their internal drives with a gotek, but personally, I'd move it to the first external. That way you can still boot from a normal floppy and make your adf files onto the df1:.

So you can use the Gotek drive as DF1:? If you don't have to boot from it to use it, then that sounds like the ideal solution for me. I have stacks of old PC 3.5" drives, but all my attempts to mod one to work with the Amiga have failed.

I am VERY glad to learn about the printer port weirdness. I assume the printer, or cable I got with the system has already had the fix, but I could very easily have connected one of my other old printers and smoked things!

The input has been a big help, so much I don't know.

Back