• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A compendium of bad '90s GeoCities web design

And yet most of them wouldn't take ten minutes to load (well, the ones without 5MB uncompressed windows bitmap graphics) or serve up nothing if you didn't have scripting, or track your every movement.

Click on one of the Netscape-style "torn picture" icons for a surprise.

brokenns.gif

I'd rather look at this than anything in the modern "EVERY COMPUTER IS A TABLET, EVERY PAGE MUST BE EITHER INFINITE-SCROLL OR SWIPE-SCREEN AND LOAD ALL STATIC CONTENT DYNAMICALLY VIA JAVASCRIPT, ALL UI ELEMENTS MUST HAVE AT LEAST 3.7 YARDS OF PADDING ON ALL SIDES IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN ACCESSIBILITY FOR RHINOCEROSES USING IPADS!" school of web design, man.

Heh, fun bit of compilation there. Of course, you look at it and think, "wow, with the current ad situation, the modern web isn't actually better."

I remember popup adverts and no adblocker, I remember pink text scrolling across the page because somebody thought it was neat, and difficult to read text because *colours*.
It wasn't faster for me either, I got the internet in ~1995, and I remember sitting there for almost a minute on a brand new PC (not some ten year old junk) waiting for pages to load.

I love this from a nostalgia point of view, and going through that website was brilliant, but I'm ok without 1990's web design in my daily life.

Yea, I remember those days...lol.

Blinking text, coloured text, image maps, animated GIFs, 3-d backgrounds, buttons, music playing when loaded....all because you COULD do it. It reminded me of the days of early Epson type dot matrix printers. You suddenly saw hobby magazines with all these fonts and font sizes...because it could be done!

It was all too busy, but it was fun at the time.

Tez

Google sites can make websites like this, but it's not as customizable. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :)

Back