• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Brand New Sealed in Boxes NEC ProSpeed SX/20's

mostynwitham

Hi All,
I have taken possession of a number of genuine 'new old stock' NEC ProSpeed SX/20's. These vintage laptops are all sealed in the original boxes I will include photos if I can work out how to do this on this forum. I am very keen to move them on to others more needy of them than myself. I am based in the UK as are the units. I have not sought to power them up as all the cables etc are sealed in the original bags. I dare say that all will be fine as they are brand new. Heck, you could even get a warranty on these. Probably! Please contact me if you are interested in these fab looking relics.

DSC_0012.jpg

heh I used to have one of those back in the day, decent little machine

I would be interested in your thoughts on price, I wouldn't want one cause the expense of sending something like this "across the pond", just more of a curiosity factor

I sincerely doubt if there is any manufacturer's warranty available on these machines. I believe that NEC has been out of the PC and Laptop manufacturing business for DECADES at this point.

Be aware that while these machines may be new, there are no parts and no manufacturer service/support left for these machines.

Awesome find, but keep in mind, unused electrolytic capacitors, discharged batteries and hard drives that haven't spun in over two decades - may not be happy. More often than not, it's machines left in storage which go pop. it would be good if you tried out at least one or two to give people an idea of their current state in general. NEC generally did/does have a good attitude towards quality however.

What kind of price were you looking for on these?

And that's just the starting bid, Seller needs to do some serious re-thinking and testing of the units.

It's quite possible that the OP is the eBay seller in the link above. The upper right pic in the item description of the auction matches the photo he posted above.
-Adam

It's quite possible that the OP is the eBay seller in the link above. The upper right pic in the item description of the auction matches the photo he posted above.
-Adam

Same table. Odds are it's the same guy.
OP, did you seriously sign up just to advertise your item and that's it? :stern:

I assume NiCad? What is required to recondition these after sitting on a shelf for 26 years?

400 pounds sterling seems reasonable for someone who's a fan of the early NECs and wants one for a glass menagerie. But buyers maybe limited.

No reconditioning - you replace NiCad cells within the battery pack. Depending on the physical construction of the battery pack, this might be easy, interesting or hard to do. :)

Back