• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: 3M/Imation LS120 SuperDisk Super Floppy IDE with Disks Tested/Working

glitch

Veteran Member
For sale is a 3M/Imation LS120 SuperDisk drive, also known as a Super Floppy. This drive started life as an external parallel port model, but the bridge board died. I removed it and tested it with my Pentium 3 industrial PC under Linux. It works fine, but it is missing the bezel since it was originally an external. I can include the old external case bezel if you want to try and cut it down.

Fully tested under Linux, includes four used LS120 disks, one of which is the factory utilities disk for Windows 95. The other three disks were formatted and tested for bad sectors with `mkfs.ext2 -c`. It was also tested with 1.44 MB and 720 KB floppies, which it reads fine. The disks come in their original box, which has had some packing tape applied to the flap. The labels you see are unused, on their wax paper backing, they're just stuck between the cardboard insert and the plastic case.

Many later PCs can boot directly from LS120 drives, check your motherboard's compatibility options if that's what you'd like to use it for. Asking $20 shipped in the US, message me for overseas postage.

VAXcYmQ.jpg

now that its gone lol

I love these things, they generally seem snappier than standard 3.5 inch drives, work with IDE to USB converters, and in my bench system, even though it supports floppy disk drives, it only supports one, so this sits on the IDE bus, and shows up in bios as a ARMD (atapi removable media device) which leave the floppy controller free for 5.25 inch duty

I will probably have another with some disks sometime soon, I'm going through a lot of removable media drives that I acquired with a lot of test gear and there's at least one more LS120 in there.

I love these things, they generally seem snappier than standard 3.5 inch drives, work with IDE to USB converters, and in my bench system, even though it supports floppy disk drives, it only supports one, so this sits on the IDE bus, and shows up in bios as a ARMD (atapi removable media device) which leave the floppy controller free for 5.25 inch duty

Yes, they are snappier--interface is ATA and for a regular floppy, the spindle speed is 600 RPM (IIRC)--so at least twice as fast.

The downside is that they're like USB floppies--they know only a few formats (720K, 1.44M, 1.23M) and so don't give you much control over creating non-PC/Mac disks.

Back