• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone re-purpose e-waste?

That's an entry-level position at a plating shop.

I would still prefer it to a 'high position' in the chrome shop working with the plating solutions.

One of the 'shadier' chrome shops I occasionally use is run almost solely by a guy that has been in the business over 40 years. The Cr VI+ solutions of the old days have not been kind to him; he has very few teeth left. I believe he now uses Cr III+ plating however the smell of acid hits you like a brick in the face when you walk through the door. I once asked him if the acid smell bothered him to which he replied 'what smell?' If it was that bad in the office who knows what it would be like in the plating area....

Nope. Anything that requires knowledge of soldering or circuitry to repair or use, I wouldn't be able to do anything with it. Now if there was a junk computer and I'll I had to do was replace the CPU/RAM/Drives/Cards, I could do that as long as I had the parts.

I regularly re-purpose power supplies and enclosures. I was given a peltier mini refrigerator that was supposedly dead, which turned out to be a bad brick. After splicing it's power cord on an old AT power supply, it was back in action.

I recall a time when finding a wall wart that put out more than 500ma (regardless of voltage) was nearly impossible. When I was in high school I was into rewiring electric guitars and assembling my own effects pedals, and I had trouble sourcing a small power supply that would've been good for a home made 8-10 watt practice amp.

Back