• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh SE and Data Transer

I strongly don't recommend you open a ZIP drive unless you really need to. As you can see they are very cheaply assembled with nothing but plastic and having the heads open to the air for prolonged periods runs the risk of contamination.

ok, Duly noted

I don't care for what's on the hard drive. I just need to be able to transfer files back and forth. I would really like to make my own SCSI2SD (b/c they're pricey).

Or ask someone on here to make some, someone who won't charge $10/disk plus shipping. I'll do it for $2/disk for 800K disks, and $1/disk for 1.44M, plus actual postage, many others on here are also willing to help people out with system disks.

I would do it for a similar amount if I had a system up and running that could do it. Not sure my Power Center/132 can write 800k diskettes, and my Atari-ST with a Spectre GCR is not currently setup.

If all you need is a bootable system disk I can send you an 800k diskette of 6.0.8 or 7.1 possibly for the cost of shipping which should only be a few dollars if I drop it in an envelope with a piece of cardboard.

software-updates-May-2013.jpg

PM me in the next hour and I'll also mail you a lite copy of Stuffit Expander on an 800k floppy ABSOLUTELY free! (just pay shipping and handling)
No more chicken-or-egg unstuffing problems. Now you can unpack files like a pro!

Last edited:
It's nice that there are helpful people on here not looking to take advantage of others that need stuff. I checked out the recuemyclassicmac website and this type of service I don't like supporting especially when the software is available free from Apple. It is available to the community and there are plenty of people willing to help out for the cost of goods and shipping. I would absolutely go the route of helpful community members first.

The SCSI Zip is a great way to transfer. I have plenty of PowerMacs so I can write disk images no problem but I have also used network and SCSI Syquest drives. For a LC III i picked up recently I managed to get a NIC for it so that should help.

I just bought an SF-314 for my ST, as all I have is an SF-354 and a pair of Mitsubishi 720k drives I'm not sure really work right. With the SF-354 I should be able to make copies of Mac Disks. I'm looking for another to make things easier.

The SF-314 arrived today. I have to test it to see if it works. If it works, I can make 800k Mac floppies using my Spectre GCR. I also have CDs that are Apple service CDs with all the different operating systems on it. So, I can provide any Apple OS for the SE.

You might want to go here: http://www.emulators.com/download.htm#UTILITIES

And get the GEMEXPLOR.ZIP file which will help you write to Mac formatted ZIP disks.

Back