• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 drive lights

ianoid

Experienced Member
I have a T1000 that works and one that doesn't. The working unit has one 5 1/4 drive that works. The original second drive doesn't grab disks and spin them. Perhaps it needs a belt or adjustment.

I tried the other two drives from,the non working unit and both did the same thing- when I powered up, the drive light came on and stayed on regardless of the operation.

Any idea why this happens? Are the drives both bad or could it be a configuration issue? I tried testing them in both drive positions.

Thanks!

Most floppy's have a jumper or DIP switch to select D0..D3 or (D1..D4) however they label the Floppy's. Plus if they
would happen to follow the IBM convention, both floppy's have to set set for D1 with a Cable that has 10 thru 16 twisted.
But, I'm not familiar with the T1000, so you should have access to that knowledge from the manuals.

Larry

This is also how floppy drives react to the ribbon cable being connected upside down. If the key is missing from the inside of the ribbon cable connector it is really easy to connect it backwards.

The Tandy's liked to use Teac drives. The Teac drives card edge is upside down with the rest of the industry. If you put in a non Teac drive try flipping the cable over as @fatwizard hinted at, Should hope fully work!

Back