• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

macintosh lc- no sound, no video, no hd?

If you lack the money and tools to fix it, then why did you intentionally buy something listed as not working?

Because, sometime For Parts or Not Working really just means "I don't have the stuff you need to test this thing, and I don't want it anymore."

I think it was a bad run of capacitors that everybody seems to have bought. The Sega Game Gear had issues with capacitors in every unit ever made by Sega, and they were produced from 1990 to around 1997. :p But as GiGaBiTe said, even high end electrolytics would be bad by now. It's just the bad batches would typically try to take the computer down with them. The better caps typically just dried up and left the board less harmed.

Last edited:
oh that's cute its only 6 bucks, lets look at checkout oh cant send lithium batteries though the post office, least every time I have tried to buy one from digikey newark and mouser the website will let me then I get an email about 2 days later saying UPS or fedex only, boom instant 9$ shipping fee so already we are up to 15 bucks, which is what they cost at radio shack and batteries plus ... + tax

Then buy them locally at a parts house like Tri-ed. According to their website, there's at least two locations in TN, one in Nashville and one in Memphis. There's also an ADI in Nashville, which is a competitor to Tri-ed. I know both of them stock 1/2 and 2/3 AA lithium batteries because I've bought them there before.

even if they were only 6 bucks with no tax and shipping you can get 2x AAA holders for 1.49$ at most home improvement stores and 2x AAA's will run a pram for years

With how many standard AA/AAA batteries I've had grenade some expensive electrical gear from leaking or corroding, I wouldn't trust them within a 15 foot radius of any of my vintage computer equipment. Unlike a Lithium cell, they WILL eventually leak or rupture and spray out corrosive chemicals, no thanks.

With how many standard AA/AAA batteries I've had grenade some expensive electrical gear from leaking or corroding, I wouldn't trust them within a 15 foot radius of any of my vintage computer equipment. Unlike a Lithium cell, they WILL eventually leak or rupture and spray out corrosive chemicals, no thanks.

at first I ignored this comment, then I was working on my mac the other day doing some hard drive chores bootstraping another drive, then I saw a post today where someone proudly advertised they removed the on board battery and put in a AA(a) pack got me thinking

Lithium cells do leak, there are countless horror stories about that happening JUST in machintoshes alone
I have never in my life seen an alkiline battery gernade or spray unless I was doing something stupid like shorting them out or trying to charge them

so it either seems like you are exaggerating, or dont know what the hell you are doing with batteries, either way my 2x AAA batteries are a good 5 inches from the motherboard, the lithium cell that I removed BECAUSE IT WAS LEAKING, is less than a quarter inch away from my system's SCSI buss on the motherboard

id take a 5 inch air gap from a leaky battery instead of directly over a mission critical section of my motherboard anyday

Most of the issues I see on 70's hardware is shorted tantalums and electrolytics that have completely dried out. Now and then you'll find one that suffered a short, popped the vent, and sprayed electrolyte on everything. I've still got plenty of 1970's electrolytics in great shape, though.

Surface mount technology didn't exist in the 70's. Even in the 80's it was still very very new. The formula is fine and so is their rated lifespan. The problem is more the design of the component itself was not yet perfect so after 25 years these early design issues are finally leading to the components failing right on their MTBF.

At first I ignored this comment, then I was working on my mac the other day doing some hard drive chores bootstraping another drive. Then I saw a post today where someone proudly advertised they removed the on-board battery and put in a AA(a) pack got me thinking.

Lithium cells do leak, there are countless horror stories about that happening JUST in Macintoshes alone.
I have never in my life seen an alkaline battery grenade or spray unless I was doing something stupid like shorting them out or trying to charge them.

So it either seems like you are exaggerating, or don't know what the hell you are doing with batteries, either way my 2x AAA batteries are a good 5 inches from the motherboard, the lithium cell that I removed BECAUSE IT WAS LEAKING, is less than a quarter inch away from my system's SCSI bus on the motherboard.
I would take a 5 inch air gap from a leaky battery instead of directly over a mission critical section of my motherboard any day

Yeah, you go try finding that gap on your average mac or just about any computer. Also your grammar and spelling is awful.

its simple a 3.5 inch drive at or over 5 inches long, add a half inch from each end and BOOM

if you ever bothered looking in a LC, lc2 or any other desktop mac guess what, the front of the hard drive is a half inch away from the front of the case and the back is a half inch maybe a bit more than from the motherboard , giving you well more than a 5 inch air gap an any desktop model 68k mac

Also your grammar and spelling is awful.

least not my argument, still stands a alkaline battery leaking 5 + inches away from a motherboard is better than a lithium leaking ON a motherboard ... and im not the one that claimed a lithium would never leak

Back