• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Printer Cable Differences...Model II vs Others?

Avia

Experienced Member
Hey Guys,

I have two brand new Centronics printer cables (third party) labeled "for the TRS 80 Model II." One end is the standard male Centronics, the other the typical card edge connector. While an older cable works on my Model 1/4 for printing, the two new cables do not. I would have thought the Centronics standard was, well...standard. Or do I have two bad cables?

Cary

Hey Guys,

I have two brand new Centronics printer cables (third party) labeled "for the TRS 80 Model II." One end is the standard male Centronics, the other the typical card edge connector. While an older cable works on my Model 1/4 for printing, the two new cables do not. I would have thought the Centronics standard was, well...standard. Or do I have two bad cables?

Cary

Strange, because the Model II has a 34 pin header as its printer cable connector, not a card edge. It also has a standard printer parallel output on that connector.

Maybe they expected you to connect it directly to the FDC/Printer card inside the MII which does have a 34 card edge connector that connected directly to the external 34 pin connector via a short cable. Easier than supplying a separate cable with a 34 pin connector I guess.

Gotcha - wasn't familiar with the Model II configuration. So there should be no reason that these cables would not work with the Model 4?

Gotcha - wasn't familiar with the Model II configuration. So there should be no reason that these cables would not work with the Model 4?

Not sure. You might want to compare the printer card edge connector schematics for the Model II and Model 4 to make sure they are identical. The Model II's can be found in the Model II Technical Reference Manual.

Came across a Model II printer cable in the shop today and remembered this thread. Here's what a typical Model II printer cable looks like.
image.jpg

Back