• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone selling Sergey Kiselev's ISA super VGA cards or equivalent 8 bit VGA card?

giobbi

Veteran Member
I was looking for a VGA card for my XT; I have an ISA 8/16 bit VGA card, a Trident SVGA9000i that should work, but it doesn't.

So I was wondering if somebody is building that VGA cards or something equivalent....

giobbi Replace Trident VGA BIOS to version 3.x or early 4.x from the Sergey's site.
http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-supervga
Trey are known to work.

I tried them. The rel 4.x is the same of my card; I tried the 3.x from its site, no luck. Quite strange: my card seems to be an original Trident 9000i-3 card, has the same chipset and the same bios of the Sergey's one; the only difference is the 8/16 bit ISA format.

The Trident manual tells this card should work with 486, 386, 286 and PC.

I tested the VGA card in another PC, it works fine with the original 4.x firmware (I compared it with the one from the Sergey's site, its the same bios). With the 3.x firmware from Sergey's site it doesn't work: the PC boots, but there's an output signal, but just a black screen -or- a purple screen, dependind on a jumper). I'm not sure if the use of a 27256 eprom -rather than the original eeprom/flash rom- requires some modifications

When I put the card into my 8088 XT clone (of course setting the 5 and 6 jumpers for EGA/VGA use) the computer boots (one short beep and HDD activity), but there's no video output: no signal, monitor on stand-by.

Strange: the card should work, at least based on manual infos; it has 8/16 bit slot jumpers, and the chipset and the bios are the same of the Sergey's ones. Why it doesn't work?

On your vga card there should also be a jumper to select between 8 and 16 bit ISA, make sure it is set for an 8 bit slot.
On Sergay's card there is no jumper for that becase it is hard wired for 8 bit mode.

IIRC wasn't there a problem with Sergey's VGA card, Where it didn't work in an IBM 5160 or 5150 8-bit slot, Should be some threads on here about it. I have a generic card that uses the same chip and it doesn't work in my IBM 5150 or 5160 though works perfectly fine in an 8-bit slot in an AT machine.

Yes. I was the unfortunate one of few. I resoldered three times the Trident Chip only to later read, that the card does not work with all XT compatibles. By the way original TVGI 9000i card did not work in that computer neither. So I am afraid Giobbi should not be looking for Sergey's card. He should find Trident 9000b,c or 8900 instead. That should work.

Yes. I was the unfortunate one of few. I resoldered three times the Trident Chip only to later read, that the card does not work with all XT compatibles. By the way original TVGI 9000i card did not work in that computer neither. So I am afraid Giobbi should not be looking for Sergey's card. He should find Trident 9000b,c or 8900 instead. That should work.

Well, I thought it's really strange that same chipset and same bios could work perfectly in one card, and not in another (made to work in a 8 bit slot). Now I understand what's going on. I will try to find another card.

I have some no-name VGAs with Realtek RTG3105i chip
http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/item/879-realtek-rtg3105i
(page not mine)
It has RAMDAC and BIOS (!) untegrated into one chip. It works well on clone XT and
even has no traces on the 16-bit part of ISA slot, so it's really a 8-bit VGA.

P.S. It would be interesting to re-make a 8-bit VGA with this chipset like Sergey did for Trident chipset...

Does it work in a true blue IBM XT 5160 and IBM PC 5150, It may work in a clone but it doesn't always mean it'll work in the IBM machines.

If it's a TVGA9000i, you can make it work in a PC or XT by connecting ALE of the main IC, to +5V instead of ISA-ALE.
The same workaround that's part of Sergey's new version PCB.

I have a generic TVGA9000i card with soldered 4.01E BIOS.
It didn't work in my IBM PC 5150, but worked in other non-IBM machines.
I did the ALE fix. It now works a treat. Cut one trace, add one wire.

JointPics_20190106_001610.jpg

If it's a TVGA9000i, you can make it work in a PC or XT by connecting ALE of the main IC, to +5V instead of ISA-ALE.
The same workaround that's part of Sergey's new version PCB.

I have a generic TVGA9000i card with soldered 4.01E BIOS.
It didn't work in my IBM PC 5150, but worked in other non-IBM machines.
I did the ALE fix. It now works a treat. Cut one trace, add one wire.

View attachment 1027504
Would you mind to share a hi-res picture of the back of the card to see how the wiring looks like in more detail? Thanks!

Back