• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Happy Birthday IBM PC!

I did know that--see my post #9. Basically, the price of an IBM PC AT (check your prices).

And as we all know, nobody bought the 5170; it was far too expensive.

It's odd--a year or so later, Apple brought out the Lisa, which was far more sophisticated than the CS9000. I don't hear people pointing out that it was expensive.

It has happened in the past that prices are dropped as supplies improved.

I did know that--see my post #9. Basically, the price of an IBM PC AT (check your prices).

And as we all know, nobody bought the 5170; it was far too expensive.

It's odd--a year or so later, Apple brought out the Lisa, which was far more sophisticated than the CS9000. I don't hear people pointing out that it was expensive.

It has happened in the past that prices are dropped as supplies improved.

From the NYT over 30 years ago . . .

By The Associated Press
Published: March 7, 1985
I.B.M. Introduces 2 Desktop Units

The International Business Machines Corporation introduced two desktop models of its Series 1 general- purpose business computer. I.B.M. said the models could stand alone as Series 1 computers using existing Series 1 software, be linked with existing Series 1 machines or operate as I.B.M. personal computers.

The Series 1 desktop computers include the 5170 model 495, and the 4950, which comes in two models.
The 5170 model 495 consists of a modified I.B.M. PC-AT personal computer and two ''cards'' that provide Series 1 capabilities, I.B.M. said. The other model consists of the cards and a modified IBM PC-XT.

The price of the 5170 model 495 is $9,420, and it is to be available in the first quarter of 1986, I.B.M. said. The 4950 model A is to cost $8,130, while the model J, with extra storage capability, is $10,420. Shipments on both 4950 models are scheduled for July.

Back