• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scammed on eBay

Please keep the conversation civil. Yelling at (BOLD ALL CAPS) and indirectly calling others "idiots" has no place on this forum.

I'm not going to sugar coat a good Internet life lesson and I've heard enough people suggest you pay with the Friends and Family enough to know what happens.

I'm not going to sugar coat a good Internet life lesson and I've heard enough people suggest you pay with the Friends and Family enough to know what happens.

You can educate others without being rude. If not, then its better just to not to engage in the conversation. Thanks and back to the topic please.

Hmm-mm. seems I remember you commenting in a previous post that most of the computers in your collection were either given to you or you paid little or nothing for them. Is that correct?

... Ebay literally gives you a place to specify shipping costs. IF the cost is wrong you can either request a new quote or the seller eats it and ships anyways. ...

I remember bidding on some very heavy items a couple of years ago (vintage items, just not computers; Jari Monarch sickle mowers) where the seller had estimated $200 shipping. I won the auction at $205 or somesuch, making the total $405 or thereabouts. The shipping alone ended up being over $350, but, a deal's a deal. I felt bad for the guy, but he was totally professional and just simply admitted that he had vastly underestimated the shipping cost, and he ate that cost. I got my two Jari Monarchs (disassembled and crated, shipped by Fedex Freight, with excellent packaging) about three weeks later. The one 36" sickle bar alone was worth the $405.....

Had he even suggested that I should pick up the cost overage that was his fault I would have had him cancel the bid, and he could have re-listed with a better shipping estimate. Never ever would I have wired extra money for his error; that's bad business. Even though I really did feel bad for the guy, as he just barely made up his shipping cost, much less the cost of packaging and his time.

While I won't be as brusque as NeXT, this is an essential eBay lesson: never ever pay anything beyond what the seller charges through eBay. Period.

While I won't be as brusque as NeXT, this is an essential eBay lesson: never ever pay anything beyond what the seller charges through eBay. Period.

I would add on to that, unless it's a risk you're willing to take knowing full well that the seller can take the money and leave. I've had a few sellers contact me with offers such as, "hey i was going to toss this box of documentation that goes with this hardware...do you want it for shipping?" None of those sort of offers turned out bad for me, but I sent them money knowing it could be a scam and I'd have zero recourse. Sometimes the risk is worth it, especially if it's not a lot of money.

Caveat emptor and all that but hindsight is 20/20; I've heard of so many caught out by "friends or family", Paypal should make the initial use of it slightly more difficult and informative.

I dunno, put in big red letters a warning prompt, " Are you using this [friends and family] option to pay someone you know personally? Do not use this option to pay for any type of goods or service, as there is no protection. "

Then, if you want to pay the same person again in future, the question disappears for convenience.

Anyone, negative feedback the guy and contact his local police dept. It's fraud plain and simple.

Back