• Model 16B

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Model 6000

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hans01

Experienced Member
To inform the members of this forum about the number of those computers that are still alive.

I have a:
  • Model II with a Graphics board, hans-02, Lo-Tech IDE, silent fan.
  • Model 12 without a card cage, hans-03, hans-04, hans-02, Lo-Tech IDE

Last edited:
I would need to be able to vote multiple times to give an accurate count, Hans! :)

Pete

You are absolutely right but I could not find any option in the poll menu to add more choices. :(

I have one each:

• Model II: Running!
  • Model 12: Running! No card cage option.
  • Model 6000: Not running yet; power supply needs repair.

I'm also intersted in making projects/products (prodjects?) for these machines, but there are a lot of other things ahead of them in queue.

Pete, you can have family members and friends create accounts here to vote on behalf of your duplicate machines. If you run out of friends and family, hire bums! :)

A Model 12 in pieces here, and a spare mainboard. Working on a repackage that will take less desk space using an old AT tower I have, a Hans-03/04 pair, and a new video/keyboard interface that will allow use of a PS/2 keyboard and a modern monitor. I'm not one of those people who has to have the thing totally original equipment; I had one back in the day, and the memories aren't necessarily fond ones of how much desk space a 12, a 16B, a T6K, and a Model 4 all take up (I had all three running at once in my workshop once, on two 20A circuits).

I have a 4P around here somewhere.

Not to be rude, but the 4P isn't a Big Tandy; I have three of those, but this poll is about the Model II-derived series, which are as different from the Model I/III/4/4P line as they are from the Color Computer line.

Hans, it looks like there are a few out there, but not many.

The good news is that I do know a number of people I've met over the past few years who own big Tandys that do not engage in this forum. Not all of them are actively participating in the hobby. Some come and go depending on life circumstances. But, I've always thought the number of active Model II hobbyists to be well under 100 worldwide.

I had quite an addition to these large lumps a few years ago, and have 11's , 12, 16's and a 16b. mostly working , but they do take up a lot of space!
....Harry

Oh, Hans, you actually missed one option. It was possible to have a Model II upgraded to a 16 and even a 6000, and those are rather unique. I had one of those with as I recall three 256K boards (I may be misremembering here; I know I had one of the 16 series with 768K) and the 6MHz 68K. It was a completely full card cage as I recall. A II-upgraded-to-a-16 is more unique that a 12 upgraded to a 16B or 6000, although they are a bit scarce too. For that matter a 12 with a card cage is a bit scarce.

Oh, Hans, you actually missed one option. It was possible to have a Model II upgraded to a 16 and even a 6000, and those are rather unique.
Hi Iowen

I had some thoughts about it, but there were not very much options in the poll.
If you have an upgraded model, you would count it as the new model, or if you count it as the origin model, it still counts for one.
The only reason for this poll was to have an idea about the possible needs of some owners and if there is a new item, how many people
could use it, like my hans-02 ide interface.
It's good to know in advance how many items (PCBs) must be produced.

I have a TRS-80 Model II that has a "Boot Error DC" when I put a disk in. It might be my disks but I should take some time and check the drive. These are pretty awesome machines.

Hi Iowen

I had some thoughts about it, but there were not very much options in the poll.
If you have an upgraded model, you would count it as the new model, or if you count it as the origin model, it still counts for one.
The only reason for this poll was to have an idea about the possible needs of some owners and if there is a new item, how many people
could use it, like my hans-02 ide interface.
It's good to know in advance how many items (PCBs) must be produced.

I understand completely; this is an excellent poll for me, too, since this gives an idea of how many might be interested in booting LS-DOS 6 directly from hard disk, for instance. It gives me an idea of how small the market is.... definitely a hobby, and not a money-making opportunity!

Yeah, I mentioned the upgraded II mostly as an aside, anyway.

I understand completely; this is an excellent poll for me, too, since this gives an idea of how many might be interested in booting LS-DOS 6 directly from hard disk, for instance. It gives me an idea of how small the market is.... definitely a hobby, and not a money-making opportunity!

or how many would use TRS-Box for Model II. :). Definitely a labor of love.

Hans, if you really want to see a small community, ask how many are running TRS-Xenix! :)

:)

My next purchase for the beast is a Hans-02 to go with my so-far-unpopulated IDE board. Once things are up and running on the HxC, I'll be able to try out some boot sectors.

Back