• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Google vcf

carangil

Experienced Member
When I type vcfed into google, it corrects to vcf, and the top result is vaginal controceptive film. What can we do to make google realize vcfed is a real thing?

Google's corrections are regionally selected based on common searches. News story about fire in neighboring town, start typing the street name and it will automatically fill out the complete address of the fire. Solution: Convince whoever talks about the other form of VCF in your area that inspires lots of searches to instead focus on Vintage Computing.

Vcf!

Vcf!

Heh, I get Value City Furniture. :) But what you need is more "SEO" - that as we all know involves spamming forums in offensively broken English stuffed full of robotic keywords with links to your product/website, and bonus points if you deliver advertising malware :p

When I type vcfed into google, it corrects to vcf, and the top result is vaginal controceptive film. What can we do to make google realize vcfed is a real thing?

Maybe it knows your VCForums user name sounds like a feminine hygiene product? I'm pretty my friend used some carangil to cure a rash last week.. if she used some VCF first, that might not have been necessary.

j/k!

I don't know how much of a joke this is. I didn't know about it, but it explains why the very large company that I work for bans this domain. They don't ban the old forum site.

I don't know how much of a joke this is. I didn't know about it, but it explains why the very large company that I work for bans this domain. They don't ban the old forum site.

Eh, those corporate filters seem to get their lists by randomly pulling categories from a hat or something.

Better "SEO" on the main site might improve rankings, and of course by "SEO" I mean indexable actual content, not paying some company to apply "the latest SEO tricks." On the other hand, searching "vintage computer," for me, brings up the old forums URL and the new forums URL before the fold.

Google also customizes results for each person using an elaborate combination of things including (but not limited to) search history and location. So it's natural that everyone will see something slightly different. :)

Are you logged into Google? I usually take pains to make sure I'm not (I do my Googly things in a Private Browsing window so they stay in their own private hell), so that only the usual anonymous tracking cookies would apply.

The reason not all of you get the same result is because of how google and some browsers interact, depending on the configuration.
If I open google.com in chromium, and type 'vcfed' into the search field, without pressing 'return', it indeed automatically shows results for 'vcf'. When I press return it instead shows results for vcfed, with the correct link as first entry, although with a 'did you mean vcf' in there.

Back