• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Digital Group - eBay

This must have been a real dog slow system, from the description:

The processor speed is less than 10 hertz.

:p

Also lots of rodent damage. Buyer beware.

Hi All;

First, this is Not an S-100 machine..

Second, the processor speed was 2.5Mhz, which was slightly higher than the standard for that time..

Probably a typo mistake by the Seller, or else He didn't know..

THANK YOU Marty

If it's painstakingly restored to original condition, I believe it would work.

He can add it to his other Digital Group stuff he hasn't sold in however many years! I hate that I had to buy my test bench motherboard off him :(

I don't think anybody has to worry about the "vintagecomputermuseum" stealing the auction. As I wrote in the other thread about this auction, the "vintagecomputermuseum" doesn't bid above dirt cheap at auctions, and has no record of sniping (although he may rebid on occasion closer to the end of an auction on valuable items).

I guess we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks if "vintagecomputermusuem" lists the computer, or parts from the computer on eBay.

On the other hand, look at what the Successful Buyer would have been looking at: restoration of cables and wiring that mice chewed on, not so much a problem, and the mice droppings which carry disease (bigger problem unless precautions are taking when eliminating the dropping). And the chewed belts on the floppy disk drives. The Shugart 800s in this computer are first generation single-sided drives. The early analog logic boards are inferior in performance to the later LSI logic boards, the early stepper motors (with two piece housings) are prone to failure/seizing, AND what's worse, is that the Seller states that the drive belts have been chewed on by the mice.

The fabric drive belts have been proven to be very durable and reliable over the years, but they simply are not available new, and have not been available for many years/decades now. There was an earlier thread from some people looking to buy replacement belts, or have them made, and I think the last thing I read is the the price would be over $50 each in quantity if a manufacturer could be found for a group buy. Rubber belts are not a satisfactory substitute, they are not strong enough to carry the tension without stretching and slipping.

So the Buyer is looking at $500-$600 to replace the pair of floppy drives with later model Shugart 800s that will come with a warranty (that's what I charge for a pair them outright), unless he chooses the pennywise, pound foolish, method of buying and trying drives without warranty that will cost him $75-$300 each, untested and without warranty.
I have some belts, but I am holding them for customer's drives that come in for service. The only belts I use are good ones taken off drives that have been retired. As far as I know, there is not other source.

It was taken down because the owner was a disaster relief person and was called down to help with the hurricane situation down south. It'll be relisted.

I'm glad I now know his vintagecomputermuseum's identity.. now I can see where he gets stuff. I thought he was reasonable with my GT6144 terminal.. most sellers would not separate stuff, so I give him credit there. He just listed an Apple II I'm pretty sure I saw sold on ebay recently... I wonder how long he waits to flip.

I don't expect that DG system to go for much... DG on ebay seems to be the Edsel of vintage computers. A really nice, complete Byte master went for only $400 recently. I am interested in this system but only if the price stays low enough to compensate for the shipping.

DG manufactured some great looking boxes. Too bad they didn't take the time to put something significant inside those nice exteriors.

I suspect that "vintagecomputermuseum" uses/is using, one or two other screen names, but I can't prove it beyond a doubt yet.

My lifelong interest with computers was first sparked by a Digital Group computer that the scout master in another troop brought to a scout show back in 1978. He had a lander game that was addictive.
digitalgroupcomputer.jpg

A few years later I recreated that game on my Apple II as best I could from memory.
screenshot18.jpg

Hi All;

And the Absurd price that He wants for the stuff..

THANK YOU Marty

I would not find the prices that he is asking SO ABSURD, if the stories that he makes up to sell the stuff were not lies, and he actually gave a warranty on the stuff. I don't think Buyers should be scammed into paying high prices for junk that is known to be not working (BY THE SELLER) and sold for a fraction of his asking prices a week or two earlier when the true condition of the item/s was stated.

There is nothing wrong with FLIPPING. If you are buying, testing, repairing, and adding a warranty you are adding value to an item, and you justify raising the price when you put it back up for sale. SCAMMING Buyers with untrue stories of the origin of the items being sold, and/or representing the stuff that you know is not-working as possibly working and untested is CRIMINAL.

Back